It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need some tips on my new Edge Pro
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I got my Apex sharpening system. I sharpened my pocket knives and hunting knives at the factory angle and they all came out great. When it came time for my kitchen knives however, I didn't have quite as much luck. I googled and found out they are factory angled at 20 degrees. I prefer my kitchen knives at a 15 degree angle. I tried redoing the bevel to 15 degrees on my small paring knife and it didn't seem to work out too well. After the lack of success, I figured I'd email and ask you for some help. What is the best (or right) way to redo my 20 degree kitchen knives that are about 3 years old and getting quite dull and get them at a nice sharp 15 degree edge?

Thanks,
Eric

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Need some tips on my new Edge Pro
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Eric,

My first and best guess is you did not completely thin the knife down to a new edge so it didn't get sharp. It takes some extra work to thin an angle because you have to remove more metal than just sharpening on the edge. So, make sure you grind on your lowest grit stone until you feel a good burr on the back side of the edge. Then flip it over and repeat. Once you have the bevel ground well you can move pretty quickly through the rest of your progression of stones. If this does not work come back here and follow up.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]