It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Need some quick help!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:02 pm 

Need help fast! Looking for a birthday gift for a vegan, need by Saturday. Figured a nice Nakiri would be great. She is not a "cutlery" person like us eggheads, so need something more stainless than not. Saw this:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kostna18.html

Any info? Konosuke is a highly regarded brand, anyone know anything else?

Thanks in advance...

Todd in Chicago

Post subject: Re: Need some quick help!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:13 pm 

I have the gyuto in hh steel. It sharpens very well, retains an edge just fine in home setting and is ground extremely thin. Fit and finish is excellent. I think your friend would love this knife

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, that would be a great choice. Nice F&F, nice steel, great grind.....ideal length IMHO.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:34 pm 

The Konosuke nakiri should serve your friend well.

If either of you are superstitious, you might be interested in the following.

Did you know there's a superstition about receiving knives as a gift? It applies to can openers, too, or scissors -- anything with a blade.

Apparently it's bad luck to be given something that can sever. The blade, it's thought, will sever the friendship.

Some people hold this superstition so strongly that they disapprove of giving knives as gifts. But for most people, the solution is to have the person given the knife "buy" it from you instead, for a token amount (usually a penny; sometimes a nickel).

Some gift givers will include the penny for you to give back to them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 pm 

Thanks...

You folks are the best. I just ordered it.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:44 pm 

Maybe that's why Masakage includes the coin on their knives... if you give it as a gift the receiver can return the coin to "purchase" the knife from you. ;) lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Todd,

Ships tomorrow and you'll get it fast as I told you on the phone. Let me know what you think about the knife.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:36 am 

Mark...

As always thank you. The updated tracking info confirms on target for delivery tomorrow.

I'm sure she will love it. Of course, before wrapping it up for her, I'll have to run it through some quality assurance! (Hello onions and carrots!). :D

I'll post the info here, most likely not until Sat or Sun.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:26 am 

Thanks Mark...

As expected the knife arrived today. I'm very impressed. At first, my better half forbade me to perform quality assurance. :shock: She calmed a bit after she had some wine and I let her know that we shouldn't give a gift without quality assurance. She grimaced and let me go ahead knowing full well that was not the entire story. I asked her to make the first cut on the carrot but she said I should go first; so using a pinch grip I ripped off 10 or so carrot coins and then handed the blade to her, which was probably a mistake. She does't really cook and therefore only uses knives to cut her steak. :roll: She seemed so uneasy and held the knife so awkwardly it was almost painful to watch....but I love her to death anyway.

The knife is a good looking knife, despite the "normal" handle. Hey....don't forgot I just got my Konosuke Ginsan 210, so I can say that. ;-)

I will tell you, in my humble opinion, this is very impressive and it's an absolute steal for $155. I left a bit of the carrot and used my Takeda nakiri and have got to say, it seemed almost, if not equal, to the Takeda (granted the Takeda probably needs some lovin' at the moment).

What an awesome gift, I hope my sister-in-law appreciates it as much as I do giving to her. She is mostly vegan (sounds funny, right?) so we got her this awesome Konosuke and a book from Amazon called "Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom, with over 300 Deliciously Simple Recipes". I happen to think this combo gift will be awesome.

As usual, thanks to the folks here for some guidance, and for Mark and team for the quick shipping. Since I'm from Chicago, Mark's package make it here in 1 day. :-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

P.S. Oh yeah, a few quick snaps! I really need to set up a much better camera set up. These are handheld from my Sony RX100.

Attachments:
DSC01094copy.jpg [52.61 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by tklimek on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:52 am 

Todd, glad you're happy with the knife. I know the feeling watching your significant other "handle" a knife. I've only recently convinced my wife not to "saw". The tojiro dp I just got her helped her on this path. The kono for the money is hard to beat

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next