It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need sharpening tips to extend edge life.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I purchased a few knives from your site a few months ago and am pleased with them so far, and am thinking of buying a few more. I was wondering if you would be able to help me with a few sharpening questions though. The knives I bought were shun reserve knives. I also bought an edge pro and have been using that to sharpen with. I have been getting the knives to the point they will shave hairs from my arm, but after 1 day of prep in a commercial kitchen, they have lost most of their edge. I know there could be a number of reasons why my knives wont keep that edge but I was wondering if the type of steel is to blame? I don't really understand too much about different types of steel though. I have been looking at buying either one of your Richmond ZDP-189 knives or a blue steel #2 knife, mainly because they seem to be from what I understand the types of steel with the best edge retention. Do you think they will do a better job of holding a good edge than my shuns? I am also looking to upgrade my honing steel, do you have a product that you could recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Finn

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Need sharpening tips to extend edge life.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

You have to try and isolate the problem. Here are a few things I'm sure you know about:

Cutting board
What you're cutting
How hard you chop into the board

Then there is the knife
Type of steel is SG-2 and it should hold an edge well
Angle you are sharpening at
Are you deburring?

My wild guess is you are sharpening a little to steep of an angle or you are not removing the burr and it's rolling over on you but that is just a guess.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't think it's the steel in the Shun's....but this somewhat depends on what's happening. Some powdered steels (Reserve's use SG2) loose some of their initial sharpness rather quickly, but then retain what's left for a very long time. I don't have a ton of experience with SG2 to say that's the case here....but it might explain some of what's happening depending on how dull they're getting for you.

Now, if they're just flat getting butter knife dull, no, this is not the steels fault barring some fluke in the galaxy where all your Shun's have a bad heat treat which is not very likely.....in fact I'd say it's near impossible.

So, if they're getting very dull, as Mark said:

You're not cutting on glass/stone/concrete/marble/etc.....right? :)

You're not being a ninja.

Not cutting something that's dulling the edge.

Barring one of those, your most likely culprit is a burr/wire edge. SG2 is pretty fun with burrs.

In this video, at about the 4:25 mark, I pull the edge across a dry paper towel to feel for a burr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKYIAqG9 ... x7ahm_x1iw

It helps detect small burrs for me. The burr will grab the paper towel and tug at it as you pull the edge across the towel. Try this trick and if the edge is buttery smooth as it pulls across the towel, you need to remove some burr.

If you're completely burr free, you might very well have the edge sharpened too shallow.

However, I thought the EdgePro only went down to like 10 degrees (atleast the Apex model) which shouldn't be too shallow for SG2.

My thoughts any how. Good luck, and let us know if you have any further developments.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:53 pm 

Adam, I watched some of your videos last night on YouTube, good stuff there, appreciate it.

(Now I need to get myself up a Nubatama stone, I'm trying to wait until next year when I retire and make a road trip and pick them up personally but I'll need to jump in before that I think)

Great videos.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

I really like the Ume 1,000....and thanks!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]