It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Need Help Selecting 1st Japanese knife
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:53 am 

[quote="taz575"]I have the Kohetsu 210mm here. Very thin blade, very sharp OOTB (one of the better edge OOTB that I have seen actually!). Blade performs very well (pretty much like the 210mm Kohetsu with the AS Core and Wa handle), lasers thru food like nothing.[quote]
Wow, just like the AS Kohetsu? If only it was slightly taller, I might get one. I'm loving these new budget friendly ringers lately... my wallet not so much ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:56 am 

NolaDNA wrote:"I would spend the 70$ on the fujiwara and get some stones, learn to sharpen and come back in a couple months with the sickness and buy everything on the site!!! lol.. it will happen trust us!"

This is the best advice. I was in the same position a year ago. Most of the knives you chose will serve you well and other users are certainly more educated than I am on them. That being said, this wont be your last knife. You will find little things that you like/dislike that only comes from using it. Then you can use that towards making a more informed decision the next time. I love getting advice from other users, but nothing helps learn like first hand experience. cheffiec said it best. I started with the 210 Artifex and an idahone and now have the Goko 240 damascus, a nakiri, a cck cleaver. I also finally have multiple sharpening stones on the way. It turns into a habit.

This is good advice. Budgeting in some stones will be key to keeping the knives in good shape. But either the Fujiwara or Kohetsu will probably serve you well. Between the two knives: the prices are fairly close, the main difference is between stainless-clad and full carbon. Pick by whichever criterion makes the most sense to you and then go for it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:38 am 

it is a misprint regarding the fujiwaras spine thickness, they are 2.2 at the spine and the 210 is about 44mm high at the heel 240 is 48mm.
either of these knives will serve you well! but I do have a thing for the fujiwaras as they have a special place in my heart for turning me into an obsessed knife crazy lunatic! almost spend as much time shopping for them as using them. that's saying a lot considering I cook for a living lol...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:13 am 

ha ha. my fault for trusting stats on the site! sorry OP. It did seem a little weird with such a wide spine but such light weight. Guess I should have suspected that.

I, personally, would go for the higher heel height between the kohetsu and the fuji, and have a slight leaning towards the kohetsu because I prefer no bolster. But that is just MY preference. Mileage may vary. My advice is worth every cent you paid for it!

I can say that either will be a jump from a Wusty. So no wrong choice. And at the price points, not much invested.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, the blade on the Blue #2 Kohetsu is pretty much identical to the 210mm Kohetsu Wa AS I played with a while back. Everyone loves that blade so much that Mark had them stick with the shape and grind for the Blue #2.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:16 pm 

Thanks for all the help everyone! I decided to go with the Kohetsu. Any recommondations for wet stones? Multiple stones? 1 stone? ceramic? Because I am new to sharpening, should I just get one semi-course (1000 grit) and then move up to finer stones when I have better sharpening skills?

Thanks!
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:37 pm 

Metropolis_488 wrote:Thanks for all the help everyone! I decided to go with the Kohetsu. Any recommondations for wet stones? Multiple stones? 1 stone? ceramic? Because I am new to sharpening, should I just get one semi-course (1000 grit) and then move up to finer stones when I have better sharpening skills?

Thanks!
Matt

I suggest starting with one 1k stone and work from there on your practice knives.

The kohetsu probably wont need a sharpening, but if you feel so inclined you should grab a set that offers a 1k and a higher grit 5k-8k to refine the kohetsu on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:56 pm 

Metropolis_488 wrote:Thanks for all the help everyone! I decided to go with the Kohetsu. Any recommondations for wet stones? Multiple stones? 1 stone? ceramic? Because I am new to sharpening, should I just get one semi-course (1000 grit) and then move up to finer stones when I have better sharpening skills?

Thanks!
Matt

Go with what Taz said (on another thread "Going All In"). Taz knows his stuff. Bester 1200. Rika 5k. I have Naniwa combo stones, 400/1000, 3000/6000. Work fine. But the 1000/3000/6000 progression gets tiresome and isn't really necessary from what I can tell. I am pretty sure I could do the same, in less time, on a Bester 1200 and a good quality 5k stone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:26 am 

I think a 1k stone to begin with would be fine. The edge on the Kohetsus, out of the box, are fairly refined. You would have trouble getting an edge as refined as it is out of the box with just a 1k stone. That said, most people get obsessed with which stones, which grits, and what progression and forget to concentrate on developing sound technique and getting consistently good results in every grit range. A 1k edge is serviceable in the kitchen. A 4k-6k edge is where most people finish their edges. So if you like, get started with a 1k, learn to get your edges back from the dead, then decided on a finer stone to refine the edge down the road.

As an additional pointer, the edge of a knife looks like this >. The edge of a dull knife looks like this D. To restore your edge, you have to grind steel away until the edges meet at a reasonably acute angle, like this again >, then you refine this shape with successive grit stones to make the bevels smoother and the edge smoother. What is important about this process, is your coarser grits are most important, they get you back to the correct shape. For edges that have not been abused, just a bit wore out, a 1k stone is the common starting point to rebuild the edge. If you screw up your 1k work, nothing finer will help. Therefore, getting a 1k will let you learn to get back to this >, before worrying about showing off with finer stones. FWIW :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm 

I bought the fujiwara and the tojiro knoves and prefer the tojiro. I'm sure that there are many better but I'm really enjoying both of these.

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3