It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need extra
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mr. Richmond,

My name is Albert. I have the 2000, 5000, and 8000 shapton pro stones and feel that they need a little extra. I have been flattening them one with the other but dont feel comfortable with how they feel when I am sharpening my knives. I was wondering which plate would be better to flatten my shapton whetstones with? I saw your video concerning DMT plates and was wondering which plate I should get, extra extra course, extra course, course??? Sorry for the seemingly stupid question but thought I would ask an expert before I ruined my stones or knives.

Thanks
Albert

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Need extra
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Albert,

Yes flattening against each other is better than nothing but it's not ideal for a couple reasons. First, your low grit stone does all the work but doesn't get flat and that is the stone that will dish the quickest.

The DMTXXC (extra extra coarse) is a good flattening plate. I also like and have kind of been converted to the Atoma 140 grit plate but it costs a little more. Both are good.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:15 pm 

After starting with the DMT XXC and progressing to the Atoma 140 I can tell you there is no comparison. If it is in your budget go long and get the Atoma, you won't regret it. It will actually save you money in the long run.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:34 pm 

+1 on what Mark and Jeff said. i would also add that the DMT plates tend to stick very badly to the stones while flattening. the atoma doesn't stick at all, and is definitely the way to go.

pat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

I hate reading all of this Atoma praise. :)

I've owned and used the DMT XXC as a flattening plate for a long time and can attest to it's ability to work well as such.

Never tried the Atoma....though I'll break eventually. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:03 pm 

Adam, do you find sticktion between the DMT and stone to be a problem? That is my only and biggest beef with my DMT.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, there is definitely stiction with that plate and most any finer grit stone. It's usually not too bad though.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 pm 

The DMT does suffer from suction, especially on softer stones. It gets the job done, but can be a pain to use sometimes. Also, it's quite heavy compared to the Atoma. If the Atoma was priced at $140, I think I would still get it over the DMT. The quality is exponentially better IMO. Plus, it handles minor repairs with ease. A few shots for comparison. Not the best photos, but the differences are very apparent.

DMT XXC - Smaller diamonds, inconsistently spaced, and a lot less of them. The tiny holes on the surface may contribute to the suction when air and mud gets trapped

ATOMA 140X - My guess is that the larger diamonds which are spaced adequately helps mud and air move through easier when flattening, causing very limited suction.

Side-by-side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:23 pm 

those are some amazing shots!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:12 pm 

FWIW the Dia-sharp and Duo-sharp plates are not recommended by DMT to be used as lapping plates. They are sharpening plates. DMT sells actual diamond lapping plates, but they are much more expensive.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]