It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Natural Stones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:24 am 

Hey all.
I just bought a couple Japanese naturals. I am not very familiar with them. Is there any difference in usage and care from synthetic stones? Sorry for the brevity, I'm posting from work!

Post subject: Re: Natural Stones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:48 am 

Dan,

which ones did you buy?

pat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:34 am 

studio398 wrote:Dan,

which ones did you buy?

pat

Amakusa Natural Stone

Binsui Natural Stone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:55 am 

don't have either one of those, so can't comment. generally a slurry is worked up on the stone and is used to speed the sharpening process. not sure if these two normally require the use of a slurry. i have the aono aoto, meara, and ozuku. maybe others will chime in on these two. enjoy the journey!

pat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:46 am 
Forum Moderator

They are both on the coarser side, Amakusa is around 800-1000 and the binsui is around a 1-2K IIRC? No slurry stone needed, not stones for soaking, I usually put water on them and let them sit for a few minutes, then add some more water and start sharpening. Almost splash and go, but they need a bit more water since it will soak in on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:24 pm 

I got these stones in today, I will let it rip later and see what is up with sharpening on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dan, I bought these same two stones a while back to test out some inexpensive naturals. I'm interested to see what you think. The Binsui in particular for me cuts very slowly compared to my synthetic stones. I've tried it a number of times with limited success. I certainly hope you do better with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 pm 

SteveG wrote:Dan, I bought these same two stones a while back to test out some inexpensive naturals. I'm interested to see what you think. The Binsui in particular for me cuts very slowly compared to my synthetic stones. I've tried it a number of times with limited success. I certainly hope you do better with it.

Compared to a synthetic like a Shapton 1.5 the Binsui is a snail. Both the Amakusa and the Binsui are too big for a universal stone holder, but they are both so big that they don't move on a towel. The Binsui is super smooth in feel comparing to what I expected. The Amakusa is much faster, and feels like a coarse stone, ya know?

Anyway, so far, they put a better than OOTB edge on an Anryu B#2, which was only average to begin with. I don't think they will replace my normal line up. Time will tell if they get off the shelf a lot, I like that they are pretty much splash and go, but then, so is my Shapton 1.5. Too early to tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have an Amakusa and rarely use it unless I am doing a Kasumi finish. Synthetics are much faster and easier for me. I usually start the J Nats at the Aoto stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:04 pm 

taz575 wrote:I have an Amakusa and rarely use it unless I am doing a Kasumi finish. Synthetics are much faster and easier for me. I usually start the J Nats at the Aoto stage.

I picked them up because they are low in cost, mostly for curiosity. I agree that synthetics are far faster. I'm not trying to achieve a "sharpening zen" by using them, honestly I'm probably a less than average sharpener compared to most on the forum, haha. I get knives sharp enough to work for me, sometimes I sharpen other peoples'. I think I will almost certainly get impatient with the time investment on the Binsui, but at the same time, maybe it will teach me to slow down a little and actually build an amazing bevel in the low-medium grit range. I am regularly surprised at how sharp a 1K edge actually is compared to dull. I think I may have trouble with sharpening long enough at a lower grit sometimes. You pay for it later when you're spending 2 years on the 2K-4K, haha.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next