It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Natural Stone protector?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:11 am 

Why not use high quality sheets of natural rubber and tie them to the sides for initial shock protection? It seems absurdly simple enough to offer some level of protection...of course adhering python skin to the sides would be way more cool :)

Post subject: Re: Natural Stone protector?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:55 pm 

Because it's totally unnecessary?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:30 am 

If I paid hundreds of dollars for a softer stone I'd wan't a little extra insurance...just saying. accident prone me probably will break one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 am 
Forum Moderator

An impressively bad idea on so many levels ...

Consider the effects of encasing a stone in rubber when you are drying the stone for instance. If this was a good idea, it would have been done perhaps hundreds of years ago using something at least similar to rubber even before rubber was invented.

Not trying to pick on you, just saving you some grief.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

They do a somewhat similar idea using laquer on the sides of the stones.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm 

How does the lacquer help keep the stone preserved? I was wondering about this...I guess I'm being a little paranoid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 am 

Not sure what you mean preserved?

From my understanding it was traditional in Japan to dry your stones outside. If it's too warm outside the stone can become brittle. Kind of similar to the way mud cracks if dried quickly/unevenly. Thus the use of lacquer to strengthen the stone. In talking with Ken about this he mentioned Urushi(sp?) was traditionally used in Japan, but is not available in the states. It causes severe skin irritation and isn't advisable to use even if you can find it.

For the way most of us here treat our j-nats lacquering likely isn't necessary. Most of us take great care in how our stones dry. Since, you're curious, though... The sides of the stone will absorb water faster than the top and bottom. If there is a crack or severely uneven area on the side of your stone, water may absorb and/or dry out in that area differently than the rest of the stone. If you are careful this shouldn't be a problem, but a bit of exterior poly varnish can be used as a barrier to prevent uneven absorption of water through the sides of the stone. If you're going to use a coating you will need to apply it evenly to all 4 sides of your stone, leaving only the top and bottom uncoated.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]