It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

This is the forum to announce your sharpening promotions, write about new products you've tested, and show off your skills.
You can post your prices, link your Facebook and YouTube page, contact information, etc...

You can post 1 sales thread and bump it all you want and add new promotions to it.

To apply for your own subforum, PM any of the mods here on the board, they are free!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nakiri Favorite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 am 

What is your favorite Nakiri on the site? They all seem to be in my price range and you have tried more of them than me... Which one is your favorite?

Post subject: Re: Nakiri Favorite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

You know.... I'm partial to 2 right now. The Tetsuhiro Handhammered and the Yuki series Masakage Nakiri.

They are opposites of each other, but awesome representations of what each one is.

The Tetsuhiro is shorter, thicker, and heavier.

The Masakage is taller, thinner, and lighter.

They are both very thin behind the edge, with the Masakage being just a hair thinner. The Masakage is a "laser" nakiri.

These 2 knives are freaking awesome, it all depends on what you are looking for I suppose.

Raw performance goes to the Masakage, but the Tetsuhiro will do better against harder ingredients.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:07 pm 

I'm curious, do you have a new favorite nearly a year later?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:53 am 
Forum Moderator

I don't think so. The Yuki is still just about my favorite. Nice and wide, super thin behind the edge.... but now that I think about it I really really like Takeda's nakiri, although it is much different it cuts so well and has a tighter feel to it. All Takeda's feel tight (aka well fitted, no looseness, solid feel).

Ugh it's early, I need some more sleep, no more 4 am crap lol!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 pm 

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting for the stainless clad Takeda to come back into stock though you've nearly got me sold on that Yuki at this point. In either case, that one is out of stock at the moment too.

Lol, sleep man! It's good for you... I'll look forward to sleeping more once I finish med school, ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 am 

shaun do you know how the masakage yuki nakri would do against a onion for dice? I have seen you taneka video for their large nakri and seen that but I am wondering if a yuki could handle dicing as well?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Yuki will totally kill it on an onion dice. The onions won't stand a chance :-).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:37 am 

no, but why I ask becuase when I look at a gyuto it has a tip to rip right through an onion and eventho the takeda large nakri has a tip(not a smallest one but it has one so it can just spin through that onions.)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]