It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My way to make a Sayas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:40 pm 

Thanks everyone who appreciated my post, do you have questions do not hesitate to ask.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 am 

Thank you Tobbe Lundström , when it gets cold will have more time to try to make my own saya.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 am 

Thumps up, very nicely done...

Two questions:

1. How important is the hardness of the wood? I'm thinking about building a saya for both my Kohetsu Gyuto and the Yoshihiki suji I recently picked up from a fellow German knife-nut. Since I don't own a ton of tools (belt sander), I thought about using balsa wood because it's cheap and easy to work with.

2. I guess most of the stability comes from the two outer layers, while the thickness of the middle one roughly matches the thickness of the spine at the heel of the blade, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:02 pm 

The pictures make it look so easy haha. What kind of tools do you need? not really familiar with woodwork.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:30 am 

Karnstein wrote:Thumps up, very nicely done...

Two questions:

1. How important is the hardness of the wood? I'm thinking about building a saya for both my Kohetsu Gyuto and the Yoshihiki suji I recently picked up from a fellow German knife-nut. Since I don't own a ton of tools (belt sander), I thought about using balsa wood because it's cheap and easy to work with.

2. I guess most of the stability comes from the two outer layers, while the thickness of the middle one roughly matches the thickness of the spine at the heel of the blade, right?

Need not be very hard but it helps, I do mine in the slow-growth spruce. Attempts to align the blade as accurately as possible, so it does not rattle. Good equipment, band saw and a sanding disc. But it is possible to do by hand if time permits.

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3