It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: my stones from CKTG
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 am 

my stones finally arrived! =D

just wanted to share. i hope i get better edges with these. my naniwa deluxe stuff ain't exactly giving me the best edge.

Post subject: Re: my stones from CKTG
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 pm 

Looks good, what exactly did you get? I see some Nubatama stones :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:08 pm 

nubutama 1k bamboo gold and suehiro rika

=D

am gonna get more as time goes by. lol.

only had 800 naniwa deluxe, 1k naniwa deluxe, carborundum stones for resetting the bevel and a chinese 12k slate stone for close to a year. i think i've learned enough to level up a bit on stones. also found this 1k makita polishing stone that actually acts more like a 3k stone, very finicky to sharpen with. it does give me a nice polish tho. lol.

also got the el cheapo diamond 140 grit stone from mark a few weeks back.

gonna aim for a few more stones like a good coarse stone (prolly the latte) and maybe a 2k-3k stone next.

am still pretty sick at the moment so i'll just wait til i get better before i go crazy on my knives and sharpen them all. lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Enjoy!

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Latte 400 is a nice stone; it feels a little smoother than the Bester 500 from what I remember. A good 2K stone may be the Synthetic Blue Aoto; it kinda acts like a muddy J nat Aoto and is pretty soft. I got a Naniwa Aotoshi 2K this past week and it works well and really leaves a nice polish, very smooth and creamy feeling. It is supposed to work wonderfully on softer German style knives, so I will use it on my western style fillet knives and stuff like that. It makes a great pre polisher or intermediary stone before the Rika 5K, but doesn't leave as nice of an edge as the Synthetic Blue Aoto, Shapton Pro 2K or my J Nat Aoto.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:38 pm 

thanks michiel!

will update this thread with my sharpening adventures. lol.

thanks taz but i'm thinking more along the lines of a shapton pro next time. i've read that the naniwa aoto doesn't really play well with other stones when mixed in with it. although i've read that they're great on softer steels which would be great for someone who has knives that are predominantly that. but since i'm gonna build me up a collection of knives that won't be on the softer side, i'd like to go for something that'll play well with most if not all of my knives.

as for the latte, i think i'd want that coz it reminds me of a certain stone from another seller and the latte is a bit cheaper. lol.

i feel like that i need to get the proper stone set before i start going crazy on knives. i've had more than enough sharpening practice in my opinion on what i've already got.

i'm still saving up on that kiritsuke i promised to get from you, taz!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

FRANZ <> Is that a Bamboo matching nagura atop the Rika?

Also, would you mind elaborating a bit upon your comment about the Aotoshi not playing well with others? My Aotoshi is on the way from Mark (should arrive today hopefully), and as Tim mentioned, I'm probably going to dedicate it to soft steel. On the other hand, I had hoped to be able to use it in some capacity on my JK's. Yes, it's all about experimentation & seeing how it feels and works in different progressions, but others insight is always nice. Eamon's love for the Aotoshi on Germans was my impetus to the purchase, but once deciding on the acquisition, I was thinking about trying it in an Aotoshi/Rika/Kity progression on my JK's. My typical progression, on say HD(2) or 19c27, is Bester1200/Rika/Kity/Cordovan Leather, but often I feel like I really don't need to start at 1200.

TIM <> Since you use both, how do you feel the Aoto & Aotoshi compare to each other overall? I read your Aotoshi review & I understand you haven't spent much time on her, but from your experience thus far, I'm curious as to how you feel about them head to head in varying scenarios (e.g., on soft steel, on hard steel, their eccentricities in multiple stone progressions, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:04 pm 

I hope this doesn't turn into on of those "I'll show you mine if you show me yours".Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:53 am 

that's what i read from eamon as well. i just took what eamon said and understood it as such.

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/strange-behavior-of-the-naniwa-aotoshi-t518.html

this is why i wouldn't use them on j knives. just westerns.

Jeff, i don't see why that would be a problem so long as we all learn from the experience. lol. =D

as for the block that you see there, that's just a hard felt block

Last edited by franzb69 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:07 am 

franzb69 wrote:....Jeff, i don't see why that would be a problem so long as we all learn from the experience. lol. =D
OK, I'll give you that one.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next