It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: My stone is overwhelmed with stone options!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:44 pm 

Want to get a few stones & start grinding on my Henkels & see how I feel afterwards to see if im going to attempt my Kohestu's & inexpensive Tojiro pettys..
Ive read lots of posts / threads, I know theres no wrong choice & have nothing to compare as new to all this.

Think im contemplating the ume 1000 vs the green brick as seen lots of fans of both options but also not sure if the should even be in the same category due to grit#

Seen this recent quote from Shaun/Knife Fanatic, "Favorite at the moment is the 1k Ume Medium hardness for knives. For razors, the 1k ume XXhard. I use much lighter pressure than Jason (something we discussed in detail) and I find the 1k speckled ume stones give a full 1k finish not a coarser grit (800 ish) finish in all three hardness levels. I also find the XXhard way too hard for single bevels and would go for the regular medium hardness or even the extremely soft 1200 for single bevels.

I find the 1k speckled Ume one of the most versatile stones I've used. It's not to say that the Shapton pro and glass or the Choceras are not good stones - they are, but these are my personal favorites. And yes the 1k Bamboo gold is an exceptional bargain and good performer. The white Bamboo 1k and the white 1.5k stones are exceptional but a bit more expensive so they don't get talked about as much.

I think pressure used is a big influence in what stones you prefer. That and just what types of stones and knives you like. I'm not a fan of prolonged soaking so I tend to avoid long soakers unless they do something special."

Seen this post & this guy raves about the nubatama but never states if its the ume, bamboo, gold, white, etc & im clueless so really doesnt help much but caught my interest:
http://www.cheftalk.com/t/76565/replacing-my-4k-stone

My henckels are not trashed & have been profesionally sharpened over the years so not really sure if I need a coarse stone & the thought of using one scares my untill I figure-out the entire angle senario.
Please send some insight my direction!
Rob

Post subject: Re: My stone is overwhelmed with stone options!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 pm 

If you won't be regrinding any bevels or repairing edges and tips, a 1k stone would be a fine starter stone. Then you might want to step up to a 5k (4-6k range lol) to refine the teeth left by the 1k a bit. This would make for a very nice edge in the kitchen. The 200+ and 300+ grit stones are really only needed to speed up reshaping and repairing blades.

You'll also want a way to flatten your stones as well, so a 140 or so grit diamond plate is nice for that as well.

As you have learned, after grits are concerned it gets HIGHLY subjective! lol Right now you might want to focus more on getting usable grits regardless of the stone and go from there once you know what you like or don't like about the stones you have. Also, while it is not needed if you sharpen correctly, I would suggest getting some kind of strop. It will help to really refine your edges. I don't use them for burr removal, but they can work for that as well if needed. They also work well in place of a steel for harder knives and will function just as well for softer steel knives.

A good starter kit with everything you might need to start with is this set: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshcoset.html

You'll have 3 nice stones with good usable grits for anything from repair to sharpening to maintaining, a flattening plate, a stone holder to keep it all in place, a loupe to see what you are doing to the edge while you learn, and a felt block to help with burr removal.

With that set you can then go to this page to get strops if you so desire: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/strops.html

The 3" x 8" strops on that page have magnetic backings and will attach to the flattening plate in the set I linked to. Plus they aren't expensive so it will be very easy to add to your strop collection as you grow in your skills and learn more about what you do and don't like. Plus it's just fun to try new stuff. lol Any compounds you might want for stropping are also found on that page. Again, strops aren't essential, but they are a nice, inexpensive way to give your edges something extra. ;)

Last edited by DefMunky on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:18 pm 

Slater wrote:Seen this post & this guy raves about the nubatama but never states if its the ume, bamboo, gold, white, etc & im clueless so really doesnt help much but caught my interest:
http://www.cheftalk.com/t/76565/replacing-my-4k-stone...

In his first post he says "I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing a Nubatama Ume 'speckled' 1k..."
He then goes on to say in a later post "I ended up buying a Nubatama 1k 'medium' stone & a Suehiro Rika 5k."

I can say with confidence he bought the Nubatama Ume 1K medium.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubatamaume1k1.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:34 pm 

Thanks Jeff, just went bac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:44 pm 

Thanks Jeff just went back & read it again & you are correct which seen lots of positive comments about the Nubatama Ume 1k, which further makes me look at the option.
I dont mind buying a kit but not really needing a coarse stone & can always pick & choose my kit, what would be a better choice the Ume 1k vs bumping it up to the green brick 2k from the start or regardless do I not want to start with the brick?
I plan on getting stops also but dont think that is such a difficult decision vs the stones.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:32 pm 

If this is an either or between the ume 1k vs the green brick I would definitely go 1K. To me, every kit should have a 1k in it, it's about the most versatile stone out there. The green brick is optional to me. If you have and plan to keep your German steel the green brick is a good finishing stone for them. For your j-knives you can skip the 2k and go to a 5-6k from your 1k and on from there. Lots of ways to go you just need pick a road get started.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Your 1k stone is most important. The 1k Ume is a medium hardness ( there are two that are hard and extra hard) The Medium hardness is optimized for knife sharpeners and is one of the most versatile 1k stones available (yes, I'm a bit biased here).

I like going to a 2k afterwards rather than jumping to a 5 or 6k stone. The green brick is a reasonable choice although a 2k Speckled Ume stone is on the way as a new edition which I know will be popular.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]