This area is for posting pictures of your knives.
Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:29 am
Some time ago I promised to post a picture of my kitchen knives. Here it is.
From left to right.
- Tojiro ITK 270 mm bread knife. This must be one of the best bread knives around. It may sound odd, but it produces hardly any bread crumbs.
- Takeda 270 mm yanagiba. (This is what it is called, it is more like a sujihiki.) Made of aogami super steel, with a beautiful kurouchi and and sharp... The kasumi is the result of sharpening by Ken Schwartz.
- Fujiware 240 mm chef knife. Also made of carbon steel. I put on the patina myself and that really helps against rusting.
- Artifex 210 mm chef knife. Convexed and with a new handle by Tim Johnson. Made of my favourite stainless steel, 13C26 (a.k.a. AEB-L). After convexing it cuts almost like the Suisin.
- Suisin Inox Honyaki. Made of 19C27. This steel has a slightly better edge retention than 13C26. My favourite chef knife.
- Konosuke 150 mm petty knife. Made of HH steel (which is rumoured to be 13C26 of 19C27; it definitely behaves like it).
- Konosuke 120 mm petty knife. Made of proprietary HD steel. This steel is "semi-stainless". I haven't been able to get rust spots on this knife; it only develops a little patina. Behaves much like HH steel, except that the feel when sharpening it is much nicer than when sharpening stainless steel.
Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:27 am
AWESOME battery! That is one well chosen functional mess of steel. And we share our favorite knife, as well, I still have yet to find any knife I prefer overall over the Suisin IH... damn perfection!
Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:45 am
You're good to go with that packet!
Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:52 am
Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 pm
Awesome patina on the Fujiwara! How'd you get that look?
Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:18 pm
Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:13 am
Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:23 pm
Cedar, Melampus is right. I forced a patina using bubble wrap foil with a mustard/vinegar dressing. There is also a vid on Youtube where Mark demonstrates how to do this.
Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 pm
"I forced a patina using bubble wrap foil with a mustard/vinegar dressing."
Yours came out better than mine
Guess I was wondering if I missed something obvious.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.