Ok, call this an attempt into uncharted waters. This is the new home for the bright finish San Mai knife I did a little video on.
I used some nice redwood from Mark at Burl Source, thanks Mark!! I figured, if I tried my first on some cheap stuff, and messed it up, I may not try again.
The "logical" approach, was to practice on the best I had. This forced me to think it through, and take my time. Neither of which I had time to do! lol! I carved the recess, trimmed, glued and clamped, then profiled. I needed to thin the body, and instead of rounding and blending everything, faceted the faces.
The pin stumped me, Eamon found those cool cribbage pegs, but I can't seem to get to a store while its open, so last night, I got a piece of mammoth ivory, ground it semi-round on my 2 X 72, then chucked it in my drill press, and spun it round (sand paper, and files) and added a little mosaic in the center to match the pins in the knife handle.
Here are the fruits of my labors. 10 coats of oil, and 4 coats of wax, and here it is. The good pics will come when the knife is done.
Please let me know your thoughts!