It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My Beginner's Knife Kit
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:54 am 

I absolutely love these knives. They mean the whole world to me, especially the Konosuke sujihiki. I am of course looking to expand my kit as my set of skills grow. I'm pretty proud to be accepted by the community here on ChefKnivesToGo. It gives me a group of people to 'nerd' out with about knives and food because my co-workers are not as passionate about them as a lot of the people on this forum are.

Post subject: Re: My Beginner's Knife Kit
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:00 am 
Forum Moderator

That's no beginner's kit - that's a serious set of tools! Nice selections, very nice. Is the petty a Moritaka? Just curious. What's the Richmond, an Addict?

Heck - list 'em all for all the inquiring minds ;-).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:04 am 

I have the same exact Kai Wasabi Scalloped breadknife, I actually picked up a santoku, nakiri, bread knife, petty and gyuto kai wasabi because a department store had them on clearance and I paid $12 for most of them, $14 for some. Too good of a deal to pass up really. I am jealous as I want a Konosuke Suji also

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:07 am 

I'm with Steve, that's no beginners kit, some pros don't have it that good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:19 am 

SteveG said: [That's no beginner's kit - that's a serious set of tools! Nice selections, very nice. Is the petty a Moritaka? Just curious. What's the Richmond, an Addict? Heck - list 'em all for all the inquiring minds ;-).]
These knives are as follows:
Richmond Paring S35VN, Moritaka Carbon Aogami Petty 150 mm, Richmond Artifex Yo-Gyuto 210 mm, Kai Wasabi 10" Scalloped Bread Knife, Richmond Artifex Wa-Gyuto 240 mm, and Konosuke HD2 300mm Sujihiki w/Ebony Handle. :)

I am currently working out some of the acid stains left on the Moritaka by some of my careless co-workers. They were freaking out when I showed them how they can stain a knife if they are not careful and do not respect the boundaries of "Don't touch my dick, Don't touch my knife" as stated by Line Cooks of Lore. Nevertheless, they have never used or seen a carbon knife before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:26 am 

@ Boost
I really like the Kai Wasabi line, it is a good budget line that maintains really well. I prefer other lines (Richmond, Konosuke, Tanaka, Moritaka, etc.), however $20 for a bread knife is pretty solid. I can't justify spending more than $40 on a bread knife. However, these other babies I can easily justify buying them.

@Jeff B
I'm not sure I follow? I might just be feeling pretty dumb right now, but I don't know what you mean by that statement you made?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:48 am 

Very nice collection! Not a beginners collection at all, those are some very nice pieces of steel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 am 

Good looking set! If that's a beginners set... I'll enjoy seeing what you own once you feel like you've upgraded enough to consider your knives a "pro" kit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:15 am 

I don't know what to call this set, besides my babies. I feel like I am missing something from my kit, but I just can't think of what is missing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:21 am 

Boning knife, maybe?

Seriously, nice knives.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next