It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Murata Buho 165 Funayuki
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:36 am 

So to cut a long story short, I was curious to find out how this knife performs. I didn't buy it because it was a 'Funayuki-cool-shape-knife' but I bought it as I believe it would be a knife compact enough to face the line (I work on grill and meat station where I carve spit-roasted suckling pig to order) and do workhorse jobs like veg prep, small butchery and boning tasks as described before.

Now I notice that not many people seem to have it? Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen many comparisons on Mark's website. Whether or not this is a single or double bevel knife doesn't really worry me as I am comfortable using both types (except maybe for hard carrots and squash where wedging might raise its ugly head but I have other knives for that).

For US$85 (approx AUD$107 after conversions), this knife is interesting enough to warrant a purchasing decision from me. But What I ACTUALLY want to know is, without being too subjective on opinions, whether or not this thing will take a singing edge that makes mise en place a joy to work with; and whether or not corrosion/oxidation within like 4-5seconds of use will pose a problem. The Tojiro ITK Shirogami 210mm Gyuto that my missus has faced that problem, even before washing off the lacquer that came with that knife. And I am only thinking about whether this Kurouchi Murata would start producing that minga ferrous smell when going through an assortment of produce.

Btw, G'day to all of yas from down under. :)

Post subject: Re: Murata Buho 165 Funayuki
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 am 

I'm sorry, could the Mods please move this post up to Knife Recommendations Q&A please? I should have seen that I posted this query on the wrong forum before. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sherski - The Tojiro ITK steel is known to be some of the most reactive steel of any knife line that Mark carries. The Buho should not be as reactive as the ITK. I've been impressed with the Buho KU knives that I've seen. The Blue #1 should take a wicked sharp edge. Aogami steel does has some additional components that Shirogami does not. This may also help slightly with reactivity.

If you let the steel patina, this should further help with reactivity during use. This is a double bevel knife, but I believe the grinds on each side of the blade (the main blade face) are not necessarily 50/50.

See Melampus' post with photos of the Buho Gyuto in this topic: 210-gyuto-wanted-t4865.html.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:37 pm 

Sherski: I have 2 of the Murata's, the 210 gyuto and the 165 Funayuki , they have an asymmetric grind and a 50/50 edge that sharpens very easily and holds it quite well. Murata coats the blue #1 blade and kurouchi finish with a durable lacquer finish that protects the carbon steel from reacting. I have used both knives in a home kitchen environment about 6 months and they have been relatively easy to maintain for a carbon blade. The 165 Funi is a nimble, handy sized small gyuto. The 165 has a thin blade profile and takes a razors edge. I use it for smaller cutting tasks and it's pointed "Funi" tip adds to the blade's versatility. I have not had any issues with any funky carbon steel smells when using the blade on acidic products.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Right on, Bill. Nice summary! Thanks for the info. I thought the two Buho's I played with were pretty cool knives. I think that 120 Sabaki is stiff enough to use as a small Honesuki for birds, etc. It's a neat little blade :-).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 pm 

Thanks a mil fellas! I really like that kind of feedback and it just makes me more excited to receive that USPS package in a couple of weeks (shipping to Australia's normally about 12days)!

I've already got a honesuki, Steve (it's a tojiro DP, and it's been doing a nice job of boning out the suckling pig carcass as well as stripping all the excess meat off for pulled pork sliders and staffie ramen) but like I said,
really can't wait to hold this baby in my hand! Along with the Kanehiro AS Suji that will be coming with it ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kanehiro AS Suji - very nice choice :-).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:37 pm 

Steve: I checked out your "Quick Look" video on the Sabaki 120 and it appears to be a mini version of the Murata 165 Funi with an even thicker spine. My 2 Murata's have rigid blades for their length. No flex in the spine. The 120 should be a good small bird knife.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:43 am 

I have the Murata Nakiri. It took a nice patina on the edge in no time. No funky carbon smell. I don't have to baby it or worry about rust. The knife can take a super steep edge and hold it for a long time. The handle is comfortable. Thumbs up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

SHERSKI <>I use, in a professional environment, the Gyuto that STEVEG referenced in the beginning of this thread. After 4 months, my lacquer has worn away, and as expected the iron-cladding is definitely reacting below the shinogi where there is no kurouchi coverage. It hasn't been particularly odiferous, nor interestingly enough has it discolored food much, but my towel gets quite dark from wiping it.

The B#1, in concert with the semi-concave asymmetric grind, takes an incredulously "singing" edge, as you put it. Edge retention is nothing to scoff at, but it's by no means anything special either; better than German steel, for sure.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next