It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Murata Buho 165 Funayuki
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:57 am 

I have the buho nakiri, and it's not as reactive as the tojiro itk.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:49 pm 

Melampus wrote:SHERSKI <>The B#1, in concert with the semi-concave asymmetric grind, takes an incredulously "singing" edge, as you put it. Edge retention is nothing to scoff at, but it's by no means anything special either; better than German steel, for sure.

You know what? As I was cutting cabbage at work the other day, I couldn't quite figure out why my knife felt like it was turning inwards towards the cabbage (I am right-handed) and my initial thoughts were "Only asymmetry causes steering..either that or it might just be my carpal tunnel that's acting up again"

That night, when I took a choil shot when I got back home, I noticed two things, 1)The right side is slightly concave...almost like an urasuki! and 2) The left bevel- the wide secondary bevel- is not ground as steep as the right side one; which makes me feel like its profile is reminiscent of a left-handed single bevel knife.

Now, what am I missing here? I haven't gotten a left-hand biased knife now have i? One could say that for that price, anything could go with its finish and that its imperfect in nature etc but its weirding me out having to figure out what exactly is wrong with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 am 
Forum Moderator

SHERSKI <> Nothing is wrong with it per`se. It has an asymmetric semi-concave grind. It will steer... slightly, but nothing like a singel-bevel. I have only experienced uncontrollable steering issues in really hard/crisp items like boniato & sunchokes. I've found the grind quite workable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:51 pm 

That assymetric grind you have there is very similar to mine. I managed to correct it though. Had to grind the bevel (the side facing your left hand) a little flatter to level where the wide bevels actually start, and then balance out the edge angles on both sides (using the imaginary midline as a benchmark). It's alot better now and doesn't steer at all.
The Murata's are a fun line of knives to muck around with, without having to worry about the investment you made in acquiring the knife.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2