It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Multiple Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:50 pm 

To fix scuffs:

Go buy a variety pack of sheets of wet/dry sandpaper at your local automotive store, and start with the highest grit, and rub the blade in the direction of the factory scratches. If it looks more polished than the factory finish around it, and it's affecting the scuffs, move down a grit. Repeat until you have matched the factory finish. If the results are not hazy enough, add a little oil or liquid soap(doesn't really matter what kind) and it will help the scratches look more misty.

I think lasers, like the Konosuke HD are fine for anyone, but thin knives like that are, for beginners, easier to maintain and harder to sharpen. This is simply a matter of there being less material to work with on the edge.

I'd start simple, like a Suisin Western Gyuto. If you just want great steel and low price, get the Richmond Artifex. The sharpening set of Bester, Beston and Rika is all you will ever need. If you want to try carbon, I highly suggest it. Any carbon knife will surprise you with it's performance. It is hard to make a stainless that performs on par with even low-end Carbon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

The flitz polish works pretty welll as long as the scratches are minor. It's more aggressive than chromium oxide paste. If the scratches are deeper we sell micro pads that have a wide progression and work well.

Here's the flitz:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/flmepo.html

Here's the pads:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/misu3x4sopa.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:45 am 

I will follow your advices and order the Konosuke HD 240. Even if it is thin and therefore hard to sharpen, there is many review and tutorials (due to its sucess I imagine) wich can help me to well maintain it. And if I have a problem I know where to find help now :D . By the way, thanks for all the relevents answers.
I will share my impressions with you

Knife addict, I tottaly understand you my girl friend thinks that I'm getting nut to always talk about knives. But I thinks it's an important choice wich needs some cogitation.

I will post some pictures of the scratches next week after my holiday and probably try some fine sandpaper along with liquid soap and flitz. It's not a great knife so I can exepriment on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:02 pm 

After a few days of knife's use and sharpening, I can tell that I am really happy with my purchase.

The Fujiwara petty is really well finished and sharp. I have to admit that I didn't expect such a quality for the price. The edge seems to be a 70/30, is it a problem if I sharpen it into a 50/50 ?

The Tojiro Nakiri have a nice grip and blade, the edge isn't razor sharp but when my sharpening skills will be better I will improve that. I just have a question about the handle. Do I have to protect it with oil or something? Because the wood seems unprotected (unlike the konosuke) and I fear that water can damaged it.

The Konosuke is really light and scary sharp. He cuts into vegetables like, well, like a laser. The new shape works well for me and the handle is simple but beautiful. Even so I notice a trace of glue on the ferrule. I think to try sandpaper to remove it. Do you think it's a good idea?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hck3ugf08lu2k3g/2012-05-16%2019.33.43.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdvqtkdkt72g7rj/2012-05-16%2019.34.26.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi68f5x9z8s33ju/2012-05-16%2019.34.31.jpg

I tried the stones on three knives but my technique isn't good enough for the moment. My edge isn't really regular, mainly near the tip and I have some trouble with stropping movement. But I am watching murray carter video and other to improve my skills.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:52 am 

Hey phylias,
Great to hear you are happy with your knives. Now let me try and share my thoughts to your questions.
1) The edge seems to be a 70/30, is it a problem if I sharpen it into a 50/50 ?
I would say no you can sharpen a double bevel knife to however you want or works best for you. Sometimes knife makers make 70/30 edges purposefully. Sometimes not.

2) Do I have to protect it with oil or something? Because the wood seems unprotected (unlike the konosuke) and I fear that water can damaged it. You do not have to protect however if you want to I would recommend mineral oil or a mineral oil bees wax mix. If you have a hard time finding such a product it is typically used to condition wood cutting boards.

3) Even so I notice a trace of glue on the ferrule. I think to try sandpaper to remove it. Do you think it's a good idea? I just leave that alone but if it bothers you remove it and make it more your taste.

Keep cutting away and keep sharpening. So much of freehand sharpening is training your mind muscle connection. Consider offering to sharpen other peoples cheap kitchen knives. You will set the angles higher but it will allow you to practice and train your technique.

Sorry for the delayed response. Please feel free to pm me if I don't respond to your post.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2