It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Moving to water stones.
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hello, Mark,

I'm getting ready to try my hand at traditional water stones after a lifetime of using Western oil stones (and a bunch of assorted gadgets) for sharpening my kitchen and hunting knives. This has been prompted by the gift of a yanagi-ba that my son brought back for me from his trip to Japan.

Here's what I'm considering as my first stab (sorry, I couldn't help that) at putting together a stone set: 1K Imanishi, 2K Blue Aoto, 6K Arashiyama. I'm looking for a quick-soak set with a fair amount of feedback to aid me in building proficiency. Should I also get a coarse stone for reshaping and repair work? Which would you recommend? Also, do you have a date when you will have the Naniwa Sink Bridge back in stock? I'd like to order that, too. I've got diamond plates from my tool making that I plan to use for tuning the wet stones.

Thank you for your help and your great customer service.

Pius

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Moving to water stones.
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pius,

I like the 1K and 6K stones you chose but I'm not a huge fan of the Blue Aoto for beginning sharpeners that want a quick soaker.

Try the bester 2K instead. I use it all the time and it will slot in well between the Imanishi and Arashiyama. It will also save you $15 over the Blue Aoto.

If you wanted a rough stone for quick metal removal I would suggest you try the Atoma 140 diamond plate. It can double as a stone flattener. We use it all the time in the office for quick metal removal when we have to take out chips and do tip repairs. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/at14dipl.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Also, we should have the sink bridge back in stock in the next week.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:34 pm 

Personally, after many years of stone buying and sharpening I regret not buying the best stones available right out the gate.

I have a lot of love for my Arashiyama 6k and it's a excellent stone but it is no match for my Chosera or Shapton stones. Personally I would recommend the 1k and 5k Chosera stones for the knife you have, very good stones for single bevel blades.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:17 pm 

Jason B. wrote:Personally, after many years of stone buying and sharpening I regret not buying the best stones available right out the gate.
I have a lot of love for my Arashiyama 6k and it's a excellent stone but it is no match for my Chosera or Shapton stones. Personally I would recommend the 1k and 5k Chosera stones for the knife you have, very good stones for single bevel blades.

I totally agree. I use Shapton and Chocera almost exclusively now though I break out the Arishyama 6k now and the for old time sake.
I think the Shapton Pro 1.5k and 5k is a good starting point too.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:56 pm 

Any more talk of this 1.5k pro and I'll have to buy one myself :D

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:13 pm 

What is it about the choseras and Shaptons that make you believe they are objectively superior, Jason and Jeff Bs? I know stones are a subjective thing, but you seem to say they are better unequivocally. What attributes do they have that make make other well liked stones like the arashiyama 6k "no match?" Just wondering. Only stone I have between them is the chosera 400, which I don't find particularly special.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

And if prompted, I'd offer a completely different set of stone's as I'm not at all a fan of the Shapton's over what I currently use. The Chocera's are nice, I'll agree there.

At the end of the day, what one like's in waterstones matters as much about the stone quality as one's personal preferences. My preferences lean more towards stone's like the Suehiro Rika, 1k Nubatama Ume, etc.

So the stone's you selected are nice, and if they're what you are drawn to, I wouldn't recommend against them.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:28 pm 

LucaBrasi wrote:What attributes do they have that make make other well liked stones like the arashiyama 6k "no match?" Just wondering..

A lot of personal preference.

Feedback, finish, edge feel can be slightly different for each stone, and its hard to know what you like/dislike until you have the stone in front of you.

I have found myself to enjoy certain stones for being soft and muddy, that i would use primarily on blade road work ("kasumi" finishes). And other stones I enjoy for being hard and fast cutting, that I use mostly for bevel work.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:34 pm 

After many many years and a vast assortment of water stones I have come to realize that finding a brand of stones that not just delivers a beautiful edge every time but is also a joy to use and one that inspires you and helps shape you as a sharpener is not an easy task. I guess I was too stupid to ask and listen to what I was being told. My journey is over as I have found what is for me the perfect stones. Naniwa Chosera 1k, 3K and 5k and Shapton Glass 320 and 500.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next