It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Moving to water stones.
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:39 pm 

>Peter< I have 4 of those 5 stones, the only reason I don't have the fifth is every time I go to buy it it's out of stock. I use a Shapton Pro 1k instead of the Chosera but I want to get it also.

>Luca< All I can say is this, there are very good soakers out there but what I have learned by trial and error and lots of money is that the majority of splash-n-go stones are more convenient, cut faster, dish slower and are just superior to there soaker counter parts. A lot of this you can say is personal preference, and is, but I could have saved myself a lot of money going with what I subconsciously new was the best to start with. To me, soaker stones are yesterdays news and I have moved on.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:56 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Luca All I can say is this, there are very good soakers out there but what I have learned by trial and error and lots of money is that the majority of splash-n-go stones are more convenient, cut faster, dish slower and are just superior to there soaker counter parts. A lot of this you can say is personal preference, and is, but I could have saved myself a lot of money going with what I subconsciously new was the best to start with. To me, soaker stones are yesterdays news and I have moved on.

I have personally found soaking stones to cut faster, YMMV. Most importantly, to me, they have FAR superior feedback than the splash and go alternatives. I also have not found soaking to be much of an inconvenience, although, do understand that many do.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 pm 

LucaBrasi wrote:What is it about the choseras and Shaptons that make you believe they are objectively superior, Jason and Jeff Bs? I know stones are a subjective thing, but you seem to say they are better unequivocally. What attributes do they have that make make other well liked stones like the arashiyama 6k "no match?" Just wondering. Only stone I have between them is the chosera 400, which I don't find particularly special.

I believe they are superior because of all the stones I have used they have shown the best performance. It's much harder to put this into words than it seems though, it's a comparison I have made over years of sharpening and using different stones. I try not to be bias in my opinions because I am a professional and I need things that work not favorites. That doesn't mean I have never been opinionated but eventually I see the forest through the trees.

They are harder, wear slower, cut faster, produce better grind lines, and have a smooth feel that is very enjoyable (the Chosera stones). They have everything you look for in "cheaper" stones.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:17 am 

Jason B. wrote:
LucaBrasi wrote:What is it about the choseras and Shaptons that make you believe they are objectively superior, Jason and Jeff Bs? I know stones are a subjective thing, but you seem to say they are better unequivocally. What attributes do they have that make make other well liked stones like the arashiyama 6k "no match?" Just wondering. Only stone I have between them is the chosera 400, which I don't find particularly special.

I believe they are superior because of all the stones I have used they have shown the best performance. It's much harder to put this into words than it seems though, it's a comparison I have made over years of sharpening and using different stones. I try not to be bias in my opinions because I am a professional and I need things that work not favorites. That doesn't mean I have never been opinionated but eventually I see the forest through the trees.

They are harder, wear slower, cut faster, produce better grind lines, and have a smooth feel that is very enjoyable (the Chosera stones). They have everything you look for in "cheaper" stones.

Couldn't have said it better and agree completely.

Jeff B wrote:Luca All I can say is this, there are very good soakers out there but what I have learned by trial and error and lots of money is that the majority of splash-n-go stones are more convenient, cut faster, dish slower and are just superior to there soaker counter parts. A lot of this you can say is personal preference, and is, but I could have saved myself a lot of money going with what I subconsciously new was the best to start with. To me, soaker stones are yesterdays news and I have moved on.

MowgFace wrote: I have personally found soaking stones to cut faster....

You seem to be in the minority there from all I have talked to but everyone has there own perception with different stones.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:31 pm 

Jeff wrote:
>Luca< All I can say is this, there are very good soakers out there but what I have learned by trial and error and lots of money is that the majority of splash-n-go stones are more convenient, cut faster, dish slower and are just superior to there soaker counter parts.

I have read on older threads through the search box some Nubatama Bamboo stones can be soaked as well, but are also a bit harder than the Chosera stones. The opposite was said in more of the more recent posts. Has Chosera changed their proprietary formula recently? Also, I have read of cracking issues even when maintained well. How do you maintain yours? I ask because this brand seems to be getting a whole lot of positive(and a few negative) talk and I'm inclined to try a stone or two out for myself.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:06 am 

Most of the the people that complain about Choseras cracking soak them before using them, the same as soaker stones. Choceras are meant to be splash-n-go and soaking them will eventually cause them to crack, and that goes for most splash-n-go stones. If you slowly run water over the stone until it pools you will not have cracking problems. This takes maybe 30sec.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2