It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moritaka Gyuto 240mm and Chef's Choice Sharpener
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:39 am 

I am looking to purchase the Moritaka Gyuto knife and I wanted to know if it would be ok to use this knife with a Chef's Choice Electric Sharpener?

Is there really a big difference between a whetstone and a chef's choice sharpener?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Moritaka Gyuto 240mm and Chef's Choice Sharpener
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 am 

They have a few sharpeners designed for 15 degree angled knives. I have a friend most satisfied with his model 1520, on Shun knives, however he will admit that his knives are sharper when I sharpen them on stones and strop on leather. The Moritaka I believe is slightly harder steel, might be a bit more challenging than the Shun's on a Chefs Choice.
I know of several people who take great care of their knives that have thinned similar knives to your Moritaka to 12 degree angles, some put a small 15 degree angle final edge on their knife. They are significantly sharper than what comes off the Chefs Choice in my opinion. My friend who owns the 1520 thinks I'm a bit too particular about my knives. I tease him that he probably still uses training wheels on his bike, and that I'd use a sharpener like his if I too were incapable of using sharpening stones. Just a little friendly banter, but I really enjoy the process of sharpening and making time to do it well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:46 am 

I find chef's choice sharpeners produces a passable edge for most home user.

Three things I find irritating about those sharpeners are:

1. They always seem to chip or round the tip of the knives and they can't deal with thicken finger guard that extend down to the edge.
2. They takes a lot of metal. This is become really noticeable in a few sharpening.
3. Since they can't thin the blade and they eat metal, after a while the geometry of the blade change enough to be noticeable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 am 
Forum Moderator

It would be like buying used retread truck tires and putting them on your Ferrari :) If all you did was use your Ferrari to go down the street to buy groceries it would be an OK thing to do :)

I would strongly recommend either buying a much cheaper knife that is a low performance knife or a better means of sharpening. Sharpening a knife in this class on a sharpener of that type is a horrible idea.

But a great question to ask before doing it :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:20 pm 

Thank you everyone for your posts. I really appreciate the help. I think I will go the whetstone route. I want to do it right.

I was looking at whetstones and I found a 300/1000 and then a 6000 grit. Are those the right ones to use?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Get the 5 piece set from Mark. Bester 500, 1200, Rika 5K, eye loupe and de burring block. I have all of those pieces (bought separately over the years) and love them!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]