It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Miyabi knives
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:13 pm 

Hello
I have not found these knives on the cktg. Many peoples claims that these are the best knives in the world (which probably not is true, in my oponion the this is a subjectiv meining). What do you know about these knives?

Will cktg take them in?

Post subject: Re: Miyabi knives
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Norway - in my opinion, that is the big company, high dollar marketing campaign at work. I'm not saying they are not good knives, but Mark has more unique (and some mainstream) offerings that can be better values and higher performers. Many people also claim that Cutco knives are the best knives in the world ;-).

See what Miyabi knives you find interesting and then do some research on CKTG and here and find some options. It's always fun doing research :-).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:23 pm 

I have heard the name before from a YouTube vid titled "Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World - Japanese Knife" from the How To Make Sushi channel. After a quick Google search I found out that these are interpretations of Japanese knives produced by Henckels. I can't speak to their actual performance, but I'm with Steve in thinking it is marketing hype. That is not to say they aren't decent or good knives, but I honestly don't think the claim to being the best knives in the world is accurate either. I agree with you wholeheartedly that the "best" knife is a purely subjective matter and there will never be a single "best knife" in the world.

Not knowing much about these knives, I'll go out on a limb and say you can find an actual Japanese knife on CKtG that will outperform the Miyabi knives every day of the week. You might pay a little more or a lot, depending on the pricing of the Miyabi knives, but I am positive you can and will find better knives for your money.

Also, don't worry about your English. You're doing mighty fine my friend and better than some native speakers. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:49 pm 

I have not used them, but I have seen a few in person. The fit and finish was nice on the ones I saw, and at least one of their lines seems to be a good value for SG-2 steel (less expensive, in terms of actual selling price, than other SG-2 knives I have seen). However, I also worry about buying the marketing rather than the knife. On the pluses and minuses of a relatively high-volume, mass-produced knife: you do have economies of scale working to bring the price down, but probably more money going elsewhere rather than into the product itself.

I'd be really interested to hear if someone here has purchased and used one, to add substantively to our collective speculations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:02 pm 

estayton wrote:I'd be really interested to hear if someone here has purchased and used one, to add substantively to our collective speculations.

Same here. I pretty much blew them off as hype when first seeing/hearing about them, but facts are always good to have and I have always like learning something new especially where knives are concerned. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 pm 

I have 3 Miyabi Knives model 5000S, a paring knife, usuba, and a kodeba (short deba knife)
Henckels makes them, and one model is endorsed by Iron Chef Marimoto
The knives are stainless "special formula" German steel, but made in Japan
They have Japanese handles
I use the paring knife the most, it came real sharp OUTB, with excellent fit and finish.
"Jointly developed by ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS and Chef Rokusaburo Michiba, MIYABI knives exemplify the traditions and craftsmanship of Japanese sword makers with the excellence of German engineering.
Authentic Japanese blade designs, extraordinary sharpness and the comfort of an intricate “D shape” handle; the MIYABI collection offers gorgeous styles that will fascinate from the first cut.
Made in Seki - by ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS Japan"

They have 7 models in their line, steels include VG10, micro carbide, higher quality stainless, and damask.
IMHO: All of the higher priced Miyabi lines, you can definetely do better buying one here on CFTG.
I picked mine up for about half the suggested retail price. Ever heard of Homegoods?
Most online retailers discount them.
They are good, but certainly not better than many of the offerings CKTG has.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 pm 

I got the chance to use one of their petty knives

Good edge (not ootb) but he took it to a "pro" sharpener in town, comfortable handle nice fit and finish.

It was sharpened on a machine, but he paid 139 for it... so he definitely over paid. I'd find a nice knife in the same size on here tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:16 am 

These knives are fair. They are thin and the handles are comfortable for yo-gyuto. The spine is not rounded and balance is fairly neutral, not blade heavy nor handle heavy. If you can find them 1/2 off I'd say go for it. They make a great beater knife but for $120+ there are definitely better options at that price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 am 

Any particular line you are looking at? Miyabi is the japanese knife branch of Zwilling and makes evrything from lower end to high cost. I have used their VG10 and SG2 and enjoyed both. Fit and finish was very good on both, but as echoed in the above posts, there are better knives for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 am 

kalaeb wrote:Any particular line you are looking at? Miyabi is the japanese knife branch of Zwilling and makes evrything from lower end to high cost. I have used their VG10 and SG2 and enjoyed both. Fit and finish was very good on both, but as echoed in the above posts, there are better knives for the money.

Not at this time. A little low on money. I am very into sushi making and have therefore watch a lof of videos on this channel:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCosny7dI3LVZE-GWR1RKxsg

He says that Miyabi knives is the best, so I was only curious.
I suspect that he has not tried any other high end knives.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next