It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Misono vs Konosuke HD vs Suisi Inox
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

hi,
i'm looking at purchasing a gyuto. i work in a professional kitchen and want a gyuto i can use for most of my tasks without having to worry about chips and such.
i'm interested in either the misono ux-10 with dimples, konosuke hd or suisin inox honyaki.
what would you recommend and why? how would these knives hold up to tasks such as cutting through chicken bones?
are the dimples on the misono ux10 actually beneficial? is it true that the dimple version is actually a thicker blade than the non-dimpled version?
hope to hear back from you :)
thanks
john

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Misono vs Konosuke HD vs Suisi Inox
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John,

They're all good knives. I slightly prefer the konosuk HD but I would be careful cutting any bones with most Japanese knives. You may want to keep a beater around for that. The main reason I like the HD is the steel quality is really good. It sharpens up like carbon steel but it has some stainless protection. All you need to do is wipe it off when your done using it and it's good. Both the misono and suisin good the misono is softer and the Suisin is overpriced in my opinion.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:01 pm 

What chicken bones are you cutting through? How often? Why?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:39 am 

Probably means cutting through joints. If not then I would agree on the why lol.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:41 am 

not very often. I was just using chicken bones as an example. I was wondering if any of these knives were durable enough for every task or if I really needed to carry around a 2nd knife for such heavy duty work. another option is a glestain but I havnt had the chance to try either of these knives out yet as no shops in Sydney carry them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:03 am 

And I meant joints ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:54 pm 

Any of those will work, as long as you are not torquing the blade in a bone. They will cut anything, just be sure you aren't using them like a prybar, or twisting them inside food.

I wouldn't say you need to keep a beater around--there probably already are several laying around your kitchen, for the first few weeks of trepidation. I'm not a fan of keeping a beater around, because the qualities that make them survive being treated like a screwdriver are qualities that make them crap cutting tools.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:27 pm 

thanks for the reply. It's funny no one I have spoken to prefers the suisin inox honyaki line over the kono hd or the misono. I thought the suisin would have been peoples number one choice. Is there much difference in the suisin for it to deserve the higher price tag?

glestain was another option I was looking at. Still can't decide :/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm 

I also noticed there is a konosuke hh line... Anyone know how these compare?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm 

I would rank them Suisin IH > Kono HD > Minoso UX10. I actually hate Misono's UX10 line, but mostly for personal reasons. I don't like the weight, steel, grind or balance, they are uncomfortable and ugly. Plenty of folks love them.

Suisin puts out an awesome product. Every Suisin is as good a purchase as any other. They have reliably great geometry. They are pretty expensive for factory blades, but are perhaps the best factory made blades in the world. It's just that compared to a Konosuke HD, they are just *different*, not significantly *better*.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next