It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: mineral oil on cutting board
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:48 pm 

otkonot,

thanks for the recipe using the coconut oil. i have both coconut oil and beeswax, and i might just try making that mixture.

pat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:15 pm 

otkonot wrote:no, coconut oil will not go rancid. It has both anti-bacterial and anti- viral properties, much like the beeswax. I have been using it on my boards for several years and I am very happy.
Daniel

Coconut oil has a very long shelf life, but it can go rancid. Rancidity has nothing to do with bacteria or viruses, but is a result of the oxidation of the oil. Mineral oil is a better choice for cutting boards. Save the coconut oil for cooking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:48 pm 

Rick is absolutely right, and mineral oil is so much cheaper too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:50 pm 

Wow, I stand corrected. The info I found stated same, very long shelve life. I've used it for years with no problems, but........I also use a very good organic cold pressed oil.

Sorry for the misinformation everybody.
Daniel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:55 pm 

We're glad to have you sharing Daniel, nothing to be sorry about. This is how we all learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:09 pm 

LaVieestBelle wrote:...the image of cheap vodka followed by an oil rub sounds like the kind of date one tried to avoid in college...

Let's just agree to disagree. :lol: You have added a fresh and pleasant perspective to these forums and I appreciate your posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 pm 

Thanks TD&S. We all need a good laugh now and then, and the image of plying a board with cheap vodka then giving it a rubdown was too good to pass up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:29 pm 

I have been doing a bit of research lately to find an alternative to mineral oil for use in cutting boards. Like most here, I am in agreement with the use of mineral oil as the best option for boards and I continue to use it on boards I make. However, it is due to the health conscious clientele at the growers market where I sharpen knives and sell my boards, that the use of a petroleum product in my boards has come under scrutiny.

In my initial findings, a good possible candidate is walnut oil. From what I have read, walnut oil might not go rancid if heated properly. I know this is a big if, but a board butter made of walnut oil and beeswax could be a viable option to someone concerned about petroleum.

Here is a couple of resources:

http://www.erikorganic.com/green/finish ... d-beeswax/

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/a ... ishes.aspx

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/wood-craft- ... ightbox/0/

Coconut oil seems to be a miracle up and coming star in the health nut realm, and would be awesome if it did not go rancid. I wonder if coconut oil could become more stable when treated with heat like the walnut oil.

For now though, the jury is still out about the use of food oils for making a good board butter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:09 pm 

That is so interesting--I will have to look at the heat-treatment part of the oil equations. From a food product point of view, walnut oil is considered particularly prone to rancidity and must be kept in cool dark places, and consumed quickly. I'm a huge fan--for eating!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:13 am 

well, after a little consideration, i will make my own concoction out of mineral oil and beeswax. i do have both on hand. i have a different wooden board i want to treat, and i'll report back after i treat that board.

pat

Page 4 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next