It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 9 of 9 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Minamoto Nashiji Blue #2 Gyuto Pass around
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 am 
Forum Moderator

DESOL <> :| I am sorry, sir, but the sign up closed on the 17th of May. In fact, the entire pass around ends in only 2 or 3 more days when HUTCH, ships it off to it's final resting place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 am 

Wasn't sure how late I was, exactly. :) Great idea tho!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Reference pages 4, for the dates & 1, for the idea...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 pm 

estayton wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, and nice collection of 210s. That's a Shimo, a Goko? a HAP 40 and the Minamoto. You said "It's not my first choice in a 210, but certainly held it's own." Do you care to share what your order would be for particular tasks, if you have examples you can point to?

Sure, what I meant by the knife would not be my first choice is, the Minamoto has a flat grind with a little bit of shoulder to it on the secondary bevel where it meets the Nashiji finish, and the other knives are more of a continuous grind with a laser style profile. In my opinion when push cutting taller and denser ingredients with the Minamoto the knife wedged a little bit. I will say though the tip distal tapers nicely and is nice and thin at the tip, and the tip went through the same ingredients very nice. Just the belly portion and the back half of the blade when push cutting I thought the other knives I compared it to outperformed it. The other reason it would not be my first choice is, the knife runs small for a 210 mm, that's no fault of the knife though and just a personal preference, as I am just used to using 240 mm knives. I am being picky here, as the knife really is a good performer and going through shallower ingredients like scallions, celery, bell peppers and carrots the knife really held its own and did quite well. I enjoyed using it and for the money it's hard to beat.

As far as order of the knives pictured, I don't have a whole lot of time with it under my belt yet, but I would pick the Shimo. The knife runs a little long at 220 mm (which I like) and has a great grind, distal taper, fit and finish and just flat out performs. But all three knives perform very well, and I am happy using any of them. And yes that is a Goko, just with a custom handle. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:45 pm 

Think I may recognize that Shimo :) One hell of a knife that I regret letting go every day, but all in the name of broadening my palate so to speak. Glad you're liking it as much as I did and that it is getting put to use!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:47 pm 

Thanks for the additional thoughts. I can see that the slight shoulder could cause some issues as you describe.

Page 9 of 9 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9