It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 9 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minamoto Nashiji Blue #2 Gyuto Pass around
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:46 pm 

hey mel, just sent a pm to you. again sorry for the delay.. wasn't checking the email last couple days as I was taking a rare 2 days off from work..

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

No worries, and thank you for your reply.

STILL ONE SPOT OPEN, FOLKS.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

FEDEX expects the shipment to be delivered to me tomorrow May 13.

Still one slot open.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:11 pm 

Looking forward to it! I've been doing so much veggie prep while on the line lately. Feel the itch for a 210. This is coming around at a great time! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:27 am 

Melampus : Did FEDEX deliver the Minamoto to you today as scheduled? If so did you get a chance to play around with it and what are your initial impressions? Always interested in hearing your comments! Looking forward to the pass around. BB

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Got it 2 hours ago. Making sushi with it right now... yup.. thin. Then the next group's dinner. Talk later...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:37 am 

Ooooohhhh exciting!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 am 

First off, let me thank Mark for supplying the knife for the pass around and Melampus for organizing. You guys are awesome. :D

The knife arrived with perfect timing, just before I was headed out to work. First impressions were that it is quite thin, a little under length (measured when i got home 205mm on the cutting edge), not much in the way of a true flat spot (nice gentle curve instead) , wicked sharp (Thanks Mel :D ) and the balance is a little handle heavy for my tastes. The fit and finish on the handle was nice, however the spine and choil could definitely use a good rounding.

I did not get a chance to really prep anything to day. I was mostly on the line all night, so I did not get to cut much beyond a few steaks and some tomatoes. Tomorrow I look forward to getting to put her through her paces a bit more.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:12 am 
Forum Moderator

This might read a bit strangely as BBC posted up before me, but Wow... What a particularly crazy few days I've had that I might outline, but first things first...

As you can see the pass-around has begun, and is closed to all new applications.

The knife's <-- link itinerary is as follows:

MELAMPUS...
    BBC...
    CEDARHOUSE...
    PJWOOLW...
    DIESELHARDWARE...
    LEPUS...
    BIKEMAN...
    PANKO...
    HUTCH...
    And then back home to Madison.

I received the Minamoto <-- link late Tuesday afternoon, and decided to ship her out to BBC, on the next day as I was scheduled to be out-of-town fishing from Thursday till Sunday, but as is so often the case, I got screwed. Mother Nature decided she'd kick the seas up to 8-10'. :evil: Trip cancelled. If I had been able to sail, I still would had been able to get another two days of use (i.e., Monday/Tuesday) within our agreed timeline of 7 days per participant, but I reckoned you guys would appreciate getting her in your grips a bit sooner. ;) I shipped her to BBC on Wednesday afternoon ahead of my scheduled Thursday departure, and she has been in his possession since this afternoon as per text confirmation between he & I from his cell phone. The knife is slated to be passed off to CEDARHOUSE, on May 24th.

Impressions:

She is a small knife coming in at 203mm long & 45.5mm tall IIRC; very much in line statistically with an 8" German. Honestly, I had forgot how small an 8" is. For what it's worth, her box is quite nice, and she is relatively light @168grams. Yes, my 240 IH weighs 145, but let's be fair. ;) Aesthetically, she resembles a Misono UX10, but with a rearward leaning choil instead of forward. The handle has a cutout on the rear of the underside that did improve the grip. At least, as much as it could as I found the handle on the small side even for a small knife, and it's a small knife. For whatever reason, the first thing I thought of when I had her in hand was holding a Glock 19; not that the Minamoto has nearly that much girth, but there's zero room for my pinky & my ring finger barely fits. What of it did fit - is not afforded a secure grip, but admittedly, I have oversized hands. The handle overall had nice fit & finish with pins & pinned bolster meeting smoothly, and the aforementioned cutout is pleasant. Of note, I don't know that the handle is one-piece, but although it is a full tang construction, there is no exposed tang on the underside which implies, to me, it is one piece not two scales. Honestly, I didn't inspect that too closely. Moving forward, the handle tapers into the pinned bolster of which has a 45 degree transition into the blade & finishes with a nice sharp short 90 degree directly into the neck that affords a good grip should you pinch there or have your forefinger rest there while pinching over the top. Speaking of pinching over the top, the finish above the shinogi is a gorgeous sandblasted nashiji tsuchime. The hammering is subtle yet pronounced, and the sandblasting adds a superficial uniformity to the presentation. It has a very clean finished appearance to it. The picture below illustrates these facets quite well, and if you click on it - it will bring you to the photo enlarged on the hosting site. Then on the bottom right of the photo, it will allow you to zoom in even further which will really show you these descriptions closeup. I can't say it offers any nonstick properties, but I have never really found these finishes to so it's no surprise. I was chopping celery paysannes that would walk up the blade and fall over to the left (I'm righty)… cucumber rondelles did the same. It did pass a potato stiction test with flying colors as indicated in the quick cursory video I shot that night because I had yet to see her perform on one & I reckoned I'd utilize the opportunity to show you a few other facets of the knife, as well.

Next, the kanji is engraved.

Spine taper is reverse; meaning it actually thickens slightly fore of the neck. It is quite thin out of the bolster, and then gets slightly thicker continuing statically until it apexes the grind as the spine begins its radius into the tip at which point it thins out therefore.

The overall design employs a large classical primary bevel below the shinogi, a`la Richmond AS Laser or Konosuke Fujiyama, with a simple kasumi finish. It ends at a typically irregular cladding line. The blade path's grind is basically perfectly symmetrical with a slight hump transitioning into the tsuchime upper of which is what I think this knife's potato test nonstick properties can be attributed to. The secondary bevel, aka cutting edge, is asymmetrically finished 70:30... as absolutely unimportant as that ultimately is. It was a pleasure to see though as it was a replica of how I finish all my edges; albeit mine have much wider bevels. The right side has a small but visible bevel whereas the 30% left is tiny. Said edge was interesting. For what it's worth, I judged it at a perfect 2k finish. Meaning it didn't have a particularly polished edge, but it seemed to had got everything out of a 2k wheel. It was sharp, but nothing to wow you. Well, nothing to wow me at least, but honestly I might be a skewed arbiter.

Edge retention could not be tested fairly in only a long shift, but the edge had degraded enough that I had an excuse to put her to the stones. As was expected, the thin B#2 edge, that was not really in poor shape, felt very natural on the stones. I was not adjusting any bevels & like I said it felt like a 2k to start so I touched her up on the green brick of which generated an edge very similar to how she arrived; I did progress to the Rika 5k; and then chose to finish on a Kityama as I wanted BBC to have a sharp knife to start off with. I do hope you are satisfied. :|

I only used the knife for a night, but got a very good impression as I forced myself to only use this one knife. I had received a catering request for a college project whereas a Principal's kin required maki du jour for 25 with s'mores... because what goes better with sushi than s'mores.?! :roll: Slicing oshinko, cucumber, & tuna into long batonnet for the rolls was a pain-in-the-ass because it's only 203mm, but otherwise it cut very well... cleanly.. precisely. Fine rondelles of green onion to wash and wring out. I had some roasted beets that I thought about using for the vegetarians, but for fear of staining its cohabitants inside a roll I opted to use it for the exterior of an i/o roll. I would normally mandolin a cooked beet in this context, but I wanted to see how the Minamoto performed on creating paper thin slices of the soft cooked & binding red beet. It's thin primary bevel accomplished this though it by no means excelled. Much like slicing the maki; it did it, and did it admirably for a gyuto, but a shorter profile is called for in these applications.

I was then able to use her in a more traditional manner processing raw carrots into micro julienne/medium dice/rough chop, roughly chopped parsnips, celery into med dice/rough chop, onions into mince/med dice/rough chop, bell peppers into allumettes, stripping corn cobs, basil chiffonade, minced parley, large dice raw chicken, deskinning/portioning raw salmon & chilean seabass, etc., etc., etc. She's a small knife so she was limiting for sure, but I had no particular hang ups. The profile rocks well though it can't do much at one time at 203mm. It obviously can't have much flat spot at only 203 mm, but the belly radius is quite smooth so you can roll into a push well. I don't really know what else to add as she was pretty unremarkable... that is a complement as I don't want to think about a knife.. I just want it to perform naturally w/o a fight.

In closing, I'd say from my brief encounter that if you're looking for a small light stainless-clad carbon yo-gyuto that has some looks this knife is a value at $125.

Have fun... 8-)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:33 pm 

Fantastic write up Melampus, thanks for taking the time to organize and give such a detailed opinion of the knife. I'm looking forward to trying out this Gyuto.

Page 4 of 9 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next