It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Metal choice questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:41 am 

Two things: how is the ootb sharpness of the ginsan? And what is stiction?

I strop but don't have stones yet or know how to sharpen, but do plan on learning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:55 am 

Stiction how stuff sticks to other stuff, basically hah.

In this case I was referring to cut food sticking to the side of the blade. Some people want a knife where food never sticks and some people don't care.

Some people might need a laser and some people may need a workhorse knife for whatever there particular reason and situation is. The laser being really thing and light and the workhorse being a little thicker and possibly heaver. Talking about the blade thickness not edge thickness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:05 am 

Oh I don't mind food sticking to the blade. I don't know if I need a laser or a workhorse, I just wanted a crazy sharp knife and this looked great. I am liking the laser aspect though. Don't see why it can't be my workhorse. It can do everything but break through bone, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:10 am 

We actually misuse the term stiction around here. But since my dynamics professor told me there is no such term, I'm OK with that. I know, it's in Wikipedia so it has to be true...

robenco15 < > You might dislike food sticking to the blade when you're trying to work with half a potato festooning your knife.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:53 am 
Forum Moderator

ROBENCO <> OOTB sharpness is a factor I pay very little attention to; I've sharpened every knife I've ever purchased right OOTB... excluding my Teruyasu & Koishi 240gyutos. Those were the only edges I've ever liked OOTB. In retrospect, I played with the Masakage for shits & giggles, & I would had preferred my edge. If you're at a point in which you haven't even learned how to change your oil, I'm sure the stock edge will impress you before or after stropping.

Stiction test examples:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:56 pm 

robenco15 wrote:Oh I don't mind food sticking to the blade. I don't know if I need a laser or a workhorse, I just wanted a crazy sharp knife and this looked great. I am liking the laser aspect though. Don't see why it can't be my workhorse. It can do everything but break through bone, right?

The lasers are usually so thing there typically isn't any convexing so they can stick to cut food more. But most of it is personal feel some people like a heavier type knife and some people want a really light thin knife.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2