It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Masamoto or Global?
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:25 am 

Melampus wrote:....The handles are slippery jokes simply designed for aesthetics. The steel is garbage. The handle is a joke. The profile is for housewives. I must wain...

He started to wax, maybe next time. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:00 am 

I appreciate the insight. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:06 am 

WOW - I didn't know the hatred ran so deep. Was there a past Global incident?

Comments were certainly not meant to raise blood pressure or incite thoughts of committing mayhem. I understand the passion but please channel it positively+++

OPINION
The reference to opinions on Globals was not meant to change YOUR opinion (don't think that is possible) but to point out there ARE contrary opinions about them. Many people DO seem to like them allot and comment favorably that they are better than the Euro knives they came from. It is subjective opinion that should be acknowledged and not dismissed in a condescending manner. This is a forum: a medium for open discussion.

PREFERENCE
I have observed that when we have parties, the female guests gravitate towards using them even after handling other brands and ooo'ing and ahh'ing the selection. My wife reaches for them and she has choices. It is a preference thing - Chevy/Ford, Blonde/Brunette, Ginger/Mary Ann. I personally will use other brands before the Globals but that is preference. I also enjoy sharpening on water stones but acknowledge not everyone does.

DIFFERENT STROKES
The comment on "ejaculating a brand" (ugly picture btw) is certainly not the case. Suggesting Global is not an endorsement - just an option to consider based on "Love the feel of the Global handles" and inexperience and aversion to sharpening.

Regarding the MinoSharp (roller-thing-a-ma-jig), yes it does put a "toothy" edge on but does NOT eat steel. It is after all a ceramic wheel set at proper angles rolling in water that calls for light downward pressure and puts a practical edge useful for most kitchen tasks. The edge you or I keep - no but still very usable. I am with Mark on that and also on the Takeda I am waiting to come in stock (novelties for the circus - funny). Hey, some like tall - it's a preference thing.

--
Respectfully

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:10 pm 

Melampus wrote: "...The handles are slippery jokes simply designed for aesthetics. ..."

This is my view on the handles as well. I was handed what looked like an 8" chef's knife this past Thanksgiving to carve the turkey at someone's house on a very nice large end grain mahogany looking board (unrelated but nice). That handle was so darn slippery from all the juices that I could hardly use it. I wouldn't purchase one based on that experience simply due to the handle.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

GLADIUS <> There is simply way too much to comment on that I will not, but I will say this:

1. There is no hatred; there is awareness.

2. Your thoughts & commentary are incapable of raising my blood pressure or inciting me to commit mayhem. My pressure is acute & constant; my zeal for mayhem is tempered by my distaste for the mush in stockade.

3. Passion extends across a spectrum, and life, thus this Forum, relies on the balance. I do not condescend; I speak with conviction from a well crafted opinion. Take it or leave it; makes no difference to me. I am extremely objective, and give credit where credit is due... Global is due very very little. There may be a limitless void, GLADIUS, but there will always be poles... each the basis of the other. I'll respectfully take one end while you reside in the middle.

Furthermore, I concur that stereotypical American housewives preparing the SAD will mostly gravitate to Globals in the context you explain, and in fact, it is plausible that Globals are quite appropriate for said subset. Reality though is that subset is not asking me my opinion, and if I was honored with their questioning I will absolutely recommend the most appropriate selection... even if it is a Global.. though the odds on that are slim to none. I can think of very few instances in which a Global is a better choice then the FUJIWARA FKM. <--link

I am not swayed by the masses. Rather, I sit back & watch the sheeple tell each other what they think they already know about Wusthofs & Globals & Shuns so they can say, "Oh, man... I identify with you so much". AND the best part of it is, they don't even want the education. They prefer to think they know, rather than invest the effort to expand their base of knowledge. One man's trash is surely another's treasure, and as the generations know... Ignorance Is Bliss.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:02 pm 

I have a masamoto VG10 180 gyotu thats awesome to use at home. I get laughed at at work when ppl see it because its so small. It was my first J-knife. The blade is so thin and light and the handle seems like it would fit a females hands pretty well. I am not a fan of globals (although they are discounted right now on this site)- whenever I think of global I think of giada di laurentis and I can't stand her.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:48 pm 

I actually almost bought one of those globals so I can loan it out to people at work...

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

There you go. There is an appropriate application... as a beater you could care less about loaning it out to people who will invariably abuse the shiite out of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:19 pm 

Melampus wrote:There you go. There is an appropriate application... as a beater you could care less about loaning it out to people who will invariably abuse the shiite out of it.

That was my entire thought process :)
They'd make GREAT Beaters

Split lobsters? here you go!!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:00 am 

not a bad idea. The stage knife!

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next