It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Masamoto or Global?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:44 pm 

Melampus,

I make these suggestion based on testimony and reviews abroad including Mark's:

"...if you are like most people and want something that will
work fast right out of the box, this will do it" --Mark Richmond

ref. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0e1U2KIcU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:51 pm 

A second vote for the Takamura Migaki 210. My favourite knife by quite a margin. It comes just crazy sharp out of the box and holds that edge forever. I sometimes giggle when using it to prep vegetables, the way it drops through the veggies like they aren't even there. Light, nimble, great fit and finish, and a fantastic price. I'd happily pay even more than the full list price of $235, but at its introductory price of $175 in my opinion it's one of the best deals anywhere. It's that good.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:35 pm 

All extremely helpful. I was intimidated to ask these questions, but the conversation has been excellent. Am going with the Masamoto 210 and will work through sharpening issues in the weeks ahead.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:42 pm 

I was going to third the Takamura due to the steel, but at least you didn't take the Global.

If you want a more diverse sharpening offering, just put up another post. We will gladly wax poetic on the merits of various stones, stops, hones, and pro sharpeners.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:59 pm 

+1 for the Takamura
I DO use it in a professional setting just touched it up with a 6k stone last night
Executive chef used it to slice some tomatoes... he was blown away.

However it IS out of stock, and it IS very much worth waiting for.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:50 pm 

From my current/prior ownership and heavy use of the 2 knives you mentioned...you made the correct choice, hands down. The steel, handle and profile in the Masamoto are superior to the Global.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:23 pm 

Every time I see a global I laugh to hard at it's very existence to be able to use it. I've pissed off a couple friends doing this but......... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:31 pm 

I feel like we need to do Melampus a public service and find some sort of forum filter where he doesn't see the posts dealing with Global. He works too hard for us to mess with his blood pressure... (this post is a joke for those that don't know)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:07 pm 

Mel or anyone with an opinion on Global,

I offer no defense of Global, I have never used one, but do you believe they are objectively worse than typical western fare or its it how pretentious Global is about being no better?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

GLADIUS <> My comment was focused on the knife... not the roller-thing-a-ma-jig.. of which I'm not fond of either. They EAT steel, and create way too much bite.

Shosui's hand held stone <--link is exponentially more effective, and idiot proof to boot.

I said I will not wax, and I will not. For those who think Globals are worth their dollar, I wish them well in their bliss.

As for your referencing "testimony and reviews abroad including Mark's", that changes my opinion in no way. E.G., Mark loves Takeda 210 & 240 Santokus... oh, I meant Gyutos; I think they're novelties for the circus. Mark respects my opinions; just as I respect his. As he put it best, "If everyone had the same taste, this would be a very boring forum [and business for him]."

My personal tastes are definitely specific to my professional capacity, but I am objective enough to always make appropriate suggestions. I draw upon decades of experience that allow me to see beyond what posters generally even recognize about their own situations. I have actually suggested a Global... once.. because it was appropriate. It is rarely the appropriate selection; it is mostly just someone ejaculating a brand name.

CEDAR <> They are not as tough as Germans... purposely... as they claim to be hard. They are harder, but they aren't hard enough to sharpen acutely or to offer great edge retention. They have uncomfortable & ineffective profiles... IMO. The handles are slippery jokes simply designed for aesthetics. The steel is garbage. The handle is a joke. The profile is for housewives. I must wain...

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next