It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masamoto KS v. Moritaka KS v. Kaneshiro vs. Kono
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:49 am 

Have a friend looking to grab a 240 Gyuto that can take some heavy work. He does plenty of events and catering. If I had to point him to one knife for great all around work, what would it be? He is very adept in knife skills (sharpening and care) but is looking for something new (believe he has been mostly in Misono Swedish Steel Carbons).

Choice: Keep the Misono (but wanting something new) considering pointing him to the Masamoto KS, Moritaka KS, Kanehiro, or Konosuke HD.

PS, I have the Moritaka KS which he can test drive, but I have no experience in the other three.

I know this is a project, but advices would be greatly appreciated!

To grab one, what would it be and why?

Post subject: Re: Masamoto KS v. Moritaka KS v. Kaneshiro vs. Kono
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 pm 

Konosuke HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTHD2J2za6Y

After watching a few videos of the knives i would choose this HD. The others look real nice too, just seems like this one is laser sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:14 am 

of the 4 knives youve mentioned the Kanehiro is probably the best work horse. The konosuke hd is my favorite of this group, however the kanehiro might be more useful for "heavy work". For what its worth I do catering and events professionally also and my moritaka ks and my konosuke hd both serve me well. its also worth noting that if your used to using say a 240mm knife then you should size up to 270 if you buy a konosuke. they run short and theyre so light you want a larger size.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:57 am 

I can only speak for the Moritaka AS line since i own a 210mm gyuto and going from a Sweed steel kikuichi very much in style to the mizono, i'm loving the AS its just a great steel and really holds for such a thin blade. I work in a 3 meal period restaurant in a big resort and have done 1000 cover days and the Moritaka pulls through on even the most demanding of jobs. If i had to pick a mane knife in my arsenal i would pick the Moritaka for value and performance, my kikuichi is in the $300 dollar spectrum and it does not come close to being as precise. By the way if any of the knives mentioned above preform like or better than the Moritakas it's a win win to me, my Misono ux10 didn't compare, thats why i gave it to one of my cooks last year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:42 am 

As a workhorse gyuto, tHe Kanehiro is easily the best knife of the bunch. I am astonished at how well both the 210mm and 240mm hold up. I have mine sharpened to 11% on each bevel, which is steep for blue steel, yet the aogami super steel on the edges does not chip. The Kanehiro is badass. I do not have the Masamoto KS, which Salty swears by. I will note, however, that the Kanehiro is far easier to maintain than a white steel knife like the Masamoto. Given your post, I'm guessing the Kanehiro would be a better choice. He can always pick up the Masamoto later, or buy the Richmond Knives Ultimatum in carbon, which is a fantastic knife with a Masamoto KS profile.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 pm 

I own the masamoto ks, the kono hd, and a moritaka. Of the three knives, the kono is far and away my favorite, it takes a great edge, holds it reasonably well, and is relatively care free. Perhaps I baby my high carbon knives, but not having to worry about taking care to make sure my blade is always bone dry etc while at work is a huge deal for me and goes a long way towards making the kono my favorite. I also much prefer the profile of the kono to my masamoto.

the downside of the kono is its nto well suited for taking a beating, so I currently keep a henkels chefs knife in my bag for a "beater knife". I may swap out the henkels for an artifex soon.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]