It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakage Yuki Honesuki
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:08 pm 

Today I finally got to use my Yuki Honesuki on a couple of chickens, just a few for home use.

I used the knife straight OOTB and wow, haven't had a knife perform this well straight from the box. This knife found the joints and popped them like nobody's business. Absolutely the easiest time I've had breaking down the back ends of birds. This knife didn't even care when I slightly missed one leg joint and sliced some cartilage, didn't even really feel it.

Boning out breasts was an absolute joy. The shape of the blade just flowed around the rib cage and I was able to get very nice boned breasts, almost nothing left on the carcass.

As for this fit and finish; it's good. I have no complaints about it. I love the red Pakkawood ferrule and the old school look of the mottled cladding. Only thing was when the handle got wet it started getting a little rough as fibers swelled, will just sand this down and oil it, no big deal.

Overall, extremely satisfied with this knife. Much easier all around to use for this purpose than my Hiromoto petty. Can't wait to get it going at the Club when we open back up in March, then this thing will really get its mettle(metal :lol: ) tested.

Post subject: Re: Masakage Yuki Honesuki
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm 

Nice review! Also, +1 from me for the correct use of mettle! lol ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 pm 

I find the swelling of the Ho wood is function over form. It doesn't feel nice but when you've got chicken juice all over your hand and you're fabricating a bird, the last thing you want is a slip up. argghghgh I just cringe at the thought.

Good review! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:55 am 

Yeah it just burred up a little, nothing a quick rub with steel wool wouldn't fix. I'm going to keep applying a light coat of oil to the handle as I do with my Kohetsu, I just like that feel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:54 am 

Great review! I will add a Honesuki to my wish list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

I've made no secret about my affection for this line. They're gorgeous blades that are easy to sharpen with very little effort. I'm glad you agree.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:06 am 

Absolutely adore this knife, am probably going to get that 240 gyuto just to be safe you know?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:35 am 
Forum Moderator

You won't be disappointed. That sucker is really thin at the edge (210 version for me). I can feel that thinness every time I get sloppy with technique. It keeps me in line ;-).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 pm 

Just to add some closing thoughts now that I'm back to work and have had a chance to clean some tenders and breakdown a lot of poultry with it. This knife absolutely eats chickens for breakfast. I can knock out birds like no tomorrow with this knife.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]