It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Masakage Shimo Petty 120 and Gyuto 210 advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:10 pm 

I'm thinking about buying a Masakage Shimo Petty 120 and Gyuto 210. They will be my entry into Japanese kitchen knives. I welcome feedback on the above knives, especially any reasons they would be a bad choice for first Japanese knife or their specific limitations.

I chose this make and modle based on

1 My research, Masakage knives appear to get sound reviews and the limited review of the Shimo line have been positive.

2 I find this modle aesthetically pleasing

3 Shimo is my Mothers Maiden name.

Obviously not all sound reasons for purchasing a knife.

1. I'm right handed
2. Gyuto, Petty and Santoku to start
3. Open to suggestions regarding size given the above styles.
4. No steal preference other than quality steel
5. No preference with handle, I have never used a Japanese Handle
6. The price point of the above knives is acceptable
7. I know how to sharpen but have little experience

Post subject: Re: Masakage Shimo Petty 120 and Gyuto 210 advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:23 pm 

Those knives don't get a lot of talk around here, I think becuase the Yuki series steals the press being also white #2 steel, but stainless clad, and less expensive. As long as you are aware that the Shimo series is carbon steel with a fully-carbon reactive cladding, and are ready to take care of them, then you should be good. Taking care of them means wiping them down between ingredients, not letting food sit on the blade, hand washing (of course) and hand drying right after. They really are good general rules for all knives, and with a little care you shouldn't have problems.

As far as length goes, I am a home-cook with a 12x18 inch board and I prefer 240mm lengths for most applications. I'd never say 210mm is too short to do anything I want to do--it is totally a functional length--but sometimes feels a little short. However, what length you find best for you is really a matter of personal preference. What length of chef's knife do you use currently? If you use German-style knives you may find the lighter weight of wa-handled Japanese knives makes a 240mm blade feel closer to a regular 8" chef's knife. That was my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Shimo series are probably Masakage's highest performing knives. The are thinner and lighter overall than the Yuki, Mizu, and Koishi series. They are truly beautiful blades. They will probably blow your mind - I'm not kidding ;-). I salute you on some magnificent choices!

As Eric mentioned, they are fully reactive blades, no stainless, but I find carbon maintenance to be no big issue in a home environment. You just need to develop the right habits.

If you don't already have a decent stropping method, get something to help maintain these tools. Mark has a great kit at a discount: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/2piecestropset.html or you can get a larger kit with 1 micron (about 15K) diamond spray and a balsa strop: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html.

Make sure you have a good way to store these as well so they and you will see no harm to the edges or your fingers. These are knives that exude hand made craftsmanship at a very high level. Give them your respect and they will serve you spectacularly well ITK.

210/240 is your call. I do well with a Yuki 210 at home. On the occasion I need a 240 or 10" I can pull out my Victorinox 10" Chef, which is inexpensive and a good knife for more heavy duty tasks as well. If you have a 10" Euro Chef knife, you're already set for length when needed and for the rougher duties.

Even if you decide on the 240, keep a softer steel 10" Chef around for the aforementioned tasks and keep the Shimo for the pure cutting tasks, where it shines.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 pm 

If you can afford them I think they are a great choice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:19 am 

My only caution with the Shimo as a first knife is ultra thin behind the edge knives require a more delicate hand. We're not talking glass, but it does require more attention to usage, cutting technique and such to prevent damage to the edge.

If you feel comfortable with full carbon and a more delicate edge. I would say go for it! I don't own one, but if they are really as thin behind the edge as the AS laser they should be phenomenal performers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:08 am 

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. To answer a couple questions that were posted.

I currently use an 8 inch western chefs knife. I am going to need to consider the 240 Gyuto and/or consider a workhorse Gyuto for the rougher duty.

I have some great stones and leather strop, but will need to look into the balsa strop and one micro diamond spray.

The maintenance is not an issue.

Thanks again for your feedback, please keep it coming.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:20 am 

Your western 8in will handle most of the rougher duties with ease... unless you want 2 new knives? :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 am 

mark wrote:Your western 8in will handle most of the rougher duties with ease... unless you want 2 new knives? :)

+1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 am 

My western 8 inch is a POS to be polite and that is giving it more credit than it deserves. I have no objection to replacing it.

Not only that but new and different knives are fun.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:13 am 

If you are comfortable with caring for them and they would have a sentimental value as well as function, why not get them?
Masakage is a very reputable maker.
POS knives are totally fine doing the ugly work. But if you have to have one, look at the Artifex from Richmond in AEB-L or a Tojiro DP in VG-10. Victorinox is also a shoo-in for a beater knife.

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next