It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Masakage Shimo Petty 120 and Gyuto 210 advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 am 

Cater - I like some space between the handle and heel. Would you mind measuring the distance between the handle and heel and reporting back?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:03 am 

So this is what I decided to order. I will be placing the order Thursday, I need to wait for a check to clear my account and also want to see any last minute replies to this post. Again, thanks to everyone for their advice and input.

I will post photos when I receive them

Masakage Shimo Gyuto 240
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashgy24.html

Masakage Shimo Petty 120
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashpe12.html

Richmond Artifex 240 Gyuto 2nd Harvest Food Bank - I can't help but want to support a good cause
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar210gyor.html

Victorinox Fibrox 10 inch chef - Because this is apparently the universally accepted ugly task knife
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/vifi10chkn.html

Thanks again
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 am 

Good choices

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 am 

Mike,
So it seems you have the market on 9-10 inch knives so I thought I would give you a curveball. Have you ever thought of a santoku for heavy work?

What will it take to get you into my favorite knife maker http://www.chefknivestogo.com/anryu.html ?

This knife is about the cost of the two gyutos you have and let me tell you about it... I have a shimo, and a richmond laser, and a goko.. and this is my favorite knife. It has excellent steel, has a strong rigid spine, and looks like a work of art. I don't know how he is making money at the price of this knife. My cleaver hasn't left the rack since purchased this knife. Chicken bones make it yawn and squash routinely go down with no more than a whimper as they concede that this is it's master... have I sold you yet?

Something to think about as this is my favorite maker and I want everyone to get in on it! Have fun in your purchases.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:45 am 

Coachnj

When I started looking for new knives, I originally set out to get a high quality Santoku and Petty knife. Specifically I started looking at Shun knives but quickly realized there were better and more unique options.

In my research travels I stumbled across the CKTG website. I trolled the boards and looked at the different knives Mark and his wife carry. It is also where I started reading about the Gyuto's and formulated the opinion, right or wrong, that the Gyuto's would be a better multitasking knife and something I should have either way. Mind you not to the exclusion of a Santoku.

This is also when I discovered the Masakage Shimo Line. Shimo is my mothers maiden name. Given all the positive press and noticeable lack of negative comments I have seen about the Masakage Shimo Knives and the fact that CKTG currently does not carry the Masakage Shimo Santoku I decided to go with the Gyuto.

The other two Gyuto's were added because it was strongly suggested I have an ugly task knife (Victorinox) and I just wanted to support the food bank, hence the Richmond. The Richmond Gyuto will also serve as a diversion so the less knife savvy household members will stay away from the Masakage's, but that role could also be served by the Victorinox.

So, here is my comment and question. Sadly, my funds are limited and I am pretty much at my budget with these four knives, at least for now. I am however open to swapping out the Richmond Gyuto for a Santoku. It is for these reasons, ideas and banter, I made my post today.

What does everyone think?

Thanks as always

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:55 am 

Mark,

I measured it at 7/8+" or about 2.3cm. I have about ten 8"-10" chef knives between the German/French and Japanese styles. This Shimo, and again it could be an error at the factory, has by far the most distance between the handle and the choil. I normally use a pinch grip, with this knife, my index finger lands on the back edge of the choil and does not rest firmly against the blade. Visually it appears off. It looked odd when I put the new handle on, but I maintained the factory position. Unfortunately, the handle is nice with a rosewood ferrule, a stainless spacer with teak on both sides and a holly strip down the middle. I am a boater and the handle resembles the deck of a boat with the dark teak and light holly strips.....it is epoxied on, so I don't think it is coming off without power tools.

Carter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:01 am 

Okay so my kids won't have their papers back tomorrow since I'm putting them off...

Mike,

The two gyutos add up to 140 and the Anryu is only 130! It's economically a great idea. You'd be happy in the long run. Do it right the first time and you'll never regret it. I obviously think that you'll use the Anryu for more things than those other two combined. I hear that you want a "beater" but I'm sure there's something in your drawer that can work in that role.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coachnj/12785448284/

Enjoy your search.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 pm 

My knives have come in and as promised, I have posted some photos of the Shimo's in the photo section, link below.

masakage-shimo-gyuto-240-and-petty-120-photos-t5657.html

I decided to get the Masakage Shimo Gyuto 240 and Petty 120 as well as the Richmond Harvest Food Bank. I deferred the purchase on the other knive for a month or so. I think I will take coachnj advice and get the Anryu and a slicer to be determined next order.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:41 pm 

Glad to be of assistance to you, hope you enjoy the knives!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:01 am 

Very good selection and I can say with no uncertainty that the Victorinox 10" is the ultimate ugly job knife! :mrgreen:

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next