It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakage Nakiri Review (2 knives)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

A comparison review of the Yuki and Koichi series Nakiris from Masakage. :)

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/makona16.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayuna16.html

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Masakage Nakiri Review (2 knives)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 pm 

Very good review. Liked watching you compare two very similar knives. Could be very helpful for someone in making that final decision.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 am 

Good review. I appreciate all the information your reviews give.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys. My verdict on these 2 knives:

The Yuki is more of a laser, but the Koishi does better against harder ingredients and feels a little more comfortable... in my opinion.

After very careful inspection, the grind and the handle on the 2 knives is what makes the difference. Since the convex on the Koishi was done smoother, it has that perfect 'bubble' shape all the way to the edge, whereas the Yuki has a little harder drop-off at the cladding line, making it thinner behind the edge but not as strong. The handle differences play a small role in the feel as well, even though the balance points and weights are identical.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 pm 

Hi Shaun,

A BIG thank you for this video and all the others you do. It helps to see some of these in action with extra details on measurements along with your personal comments as you use the knives. I know these take a lot of time . . . preparation time, research on the knives, gathering food, making sure your recording equipment is ready, deciding on the recipes, etc. I have concluded your garage and maybe several rooms are full of knives, sharpening equipment, refrigerators, freezers, and you must live near a large produce market and you have a big group to cook for . . . . maybe preliminary cooking for a future holiday celebration!

Very fine comparison . . . really like the format . . . most certainly its great to show off a particular knife solo . . . however - given your time limitations the approach in this video has pluses . . . this has 2 similar knives (2 Nakiris) from different line ups from the same knife maker . . . I suggest considering extending this . . . for example . . . 2 different knives ( Gyuto and Santoku / Gyuto and Petty / Gyuto 270 and Gyuto 210, etc. ) from the same line up from the same knife maker.

This will most likely probably be dependent on whats in the overall with your time, and access to knives, and certain knives with certain knife makers - may be better as the solo action star with you.

The videos are very helpful and I thank you for all of the time and effort you put into these for the knife community.

I look forward to your next one, and your next, and your next!

Exceptional . . . excellent . . . very much appreciated!

Peter

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]