It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Masakage Knives why do they attach a coin?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:21 am 

The post title says it all.

I'm curious as to why a coin is attached to Masakage knives. Search and the internet revealed no truly useful information.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Masakage Knives why do they attach a coin?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:09 am 

It's a 5 yen coin "Go-en" which is considered good luck, or a lucky charm. It's also often placed into new wallets first before anything else to bring good fortune. Also lots of good luck charms are made using these 5 yen coins.

Source: I'm Japanese and grew up with this tradition/superstition :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:02 pm 

Yes, to negate the negative of gifting someone a knife the money is given with it. I have heard that sometimes it is so the receiver can buy the knife from the giver, don't know about that. In Chinese culture the gifting of a knife is symbolic to cutting ties with that person.

Jason T, can you offer more insight about this?

Even in Western Culture, the giving of a wallet without money in it is considered rude. Although knives don't suffer that stigma, to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20 pm 

To make sure you have one more thing to do before you can use the knife, remove the coin. A test of your patience! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:28 pm 

It's a common superstition/tradition in western as well. As a boy one of my first knives was presented to me (Victorinox Swiss army) along with a penny taped to it. Apparently I was supposed to give the penny back to the presenter of the knife (To "Buy") the knife. I was clueless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:12 am 

Jason T, thank you for sharing your culture and tradition with the forum and me.

Dan Jeff and DarkStar, thanks for the information.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:30 pm 

Their customer service provides it in case there is a problem so you can call someone who cares :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:09 am 

cedarhouse wrote:Their customer service provides it in case there is a problem so you can call someone who cares :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:46 am 

...and that's the thread folks! Don't forget to tip your bartender on the way out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:31 am 

Dan, sorry to get back to you late. Finals are just around the corner so I wasn't keeping an eye on the forum.

Yeah, gifting knives in many cultures is considered bad luck, mostly for the recipient. Chinese superstitions are everywhere and yes, knives or even scissors given as a gift is thought to symbolize cutting ties, or cutting their good luck aka sending the recipient bad mojo. The Japanese probably borrowed this superstition from the Chinese. As you guys mentioned, gifting a knife with a coin attached allows the recipient to "buy" the knife and not have any negative effects.

Though in the case of the 5 yen coin attached to new Masakage knives I think it's just a nice gesture to wish their customers some good fortune as a thanks for purchasing one of their knives. Instant 5 yen rebate :lol:

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next