It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Masakage Kiri, Shimo, and Yuki gyuto
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:38 am 

BTW two birds with one stone. You expressed concern about the look of carbon damascus cladding with a patina and I just mentioned the Tanaka Sekiso, Tim Johnson (taz on the forum) did this rehandle on his and the pics show a patina and also an acid etch here: tanaka-sekiso-gyuto-rehandle-t3129.html

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:55 am 

Different people buy knives with different criteria.

You're going to find that some people here prioritize appearance. There's no knife on the site that doesn't have aesthetic merits. But some are intentionally more impressive and others intentionally more subtle. Others just don't care.

Some people are going to prioritize performance over all else. We find character in use. Many of us, myself included, cook professionally. For us performance is paramount and aesthetics are strictly secondary. Considering how interns are with attractive knives, it may be a negative. I don't even really like a kurouchi finish.

So the reason we love them the HH and HD lines is simple. They are the bee's knees in performance. They just have fantastic function with muted, classic form. Masakage knives are not the less for this. They too are loved for being great knives even before being attractive. I certainly think they beat out a Konosuke in a beauty contest. But I own two HH knives and no Masakages because the use and maintenance of the Konosukes is top notch.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:18 pm 

Thank you all for the excellent information and recommendations, I bought the Anryu Hammered Gyuto 240mm with a Saya B. Its got style and a little more support behind the edge which was exactly what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:52 pm 

Congrats on the new toy! Let us know what you think.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:05 pm 

Musicman: Good pick on choosing the Anryu 240! It is a versatile knife that you will enjoy. It has the " Personality" you were looking for.

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3