It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Masakage Kiri, Shimo, and Yuki gyuto
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:25 pm 

I was under the impression that the Richmond Lasers were extremely thin knives as well, are these not as thin as the Yuki gyuto?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:25 pm 

Check out the Anryu 240 per " Steve G's" suggestion. I have the Yuki 210 and the Anryu 240 and the Anryu is slightly less thin behind the edge and the blade height is a little taller than the 240 Yuki. Both are great performing blades that you will not outgrow. The Anryu has a rosewood handle with an ebony ferrule and is one of the nicest non custom handles you will find. I prefer it over the Ho wood , pakka handle on the Yuki. Both the Masakage and the Anryu are made by the same family of blacksmiths.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 pm 

Thank you, that does look like a great option, and if the edge is indeed less "fragile" than the Yuki we could have a winner! Ebony ferrule mmmmmm

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've got the Anyru 240 Hammered Gyuto in as part of the current batch of video knives. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Been very busy, haven't even pulled it out of the box yet ;-).

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:17 pm 

Oh, I am excited to hear your thoughts on the Anryu...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:23 pm 

If we're talking as much as $300 how can you not mention the Kono HD2: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html
Amazing proprietary semi-stainless steel, pretty much stainless. An amazing feel in the hand. My favorite to date.
Sharpens easily and holds an edge very well. It is the ultimate laser and cuts like it.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Good call Jeff :-). He was listing knives of a different style, but lest we forget the Kono. The HH would be very nice as well, and slightly less expensive: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko24wa.html

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:34 pm 

I'm sure they're functionally astounding, but they don't seem to have as much personality as the Anryu hammered or the Masakage Yuki, unless I'm missing something really cool about the Konosukes?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:32 am 

The Konosuke HD and HH are mono steel non clad blades and they are true lasers with thin spines and edges. The steel used in mono Konos will be less reactive than the core carbon steel used on the Yuki and Anryu. They are amazing performing thin blades. The Kono's have a great fit and finish with rounded spines and choils and nicely finished handles. What gives the Yuki's and Anryu their" personality" is the stainless San Mai cladding over the white or blue steel core. The cladding is a Pear Skin "Nashiki finish on the Yuki and a hammered finish on the Anryu. If you want a clad thicker spine blade similar to the Yuki/Anryu look at the Kono Fujiyama series in the various white and blue steel options. The Fujiyama's like the Yuki/Anryu are hand crafted with a higher level finish. They are clad in a carbon steel so their blades will be reactive. If you want a knife with "personality" and an all carbon blade, it doesn't get much better than the Kono Fujis.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:31 am 

Music, I think the Richmond lasers compare closely with the Yuki or Anryu, they are fairly similar knives. From pictures I have seen it looks like the Yuki is thinner than my Anryu directly behind the edge.

The Konos are true lasers. The Richmond Laser, despite its name is more of a light middle weight knife, much like the Anryu or Yuki. Any concern about the thinness of the Yuki is at least as valid with the Kono HD or HH. The Konos do perform amazingly and their aesthetic charm is in their conservative, functional look.

FWIW, all these knives are winners, the question is what game do you want to play? Lasers, look at the Konos. More of a thin workhorse with character the Yuki, Anryu, and Richmond AS Laser are all winners.

Another interesting pick, since you have shown interest in a carbon damascus clad workhorse, is the Tanaka Sekiso: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto1.html. I have not handled one myself, but they are commonly recommended alongside the lineup you are currently considering and at a pretty attractive price.

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next