It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:49 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mark what is your take?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Mark I posted in the sharpening area & have some advise but was curious on your take.
You have used them all & what is your take?
First of all just wanted to clarify that the shaptons are the only truly splash & go?
Does one kit or stone combo really significantly sharpen better or more of a pleasure to use in your experience that would hands down be the right choice in your mind?
Just trying to figure out which route to go.
Think im very capable & dont think ill need or want a stone that may be better for beginners, least don think I do.
Going to start hacking on the Henkels first & obviously my J-knives are new & wont need help for some time. Im sure the Tojiro pettys can get a better edge maybe just stropping on a fine stone & / or just on some leather...
Nubatama ume 1k
Suehiro Rika
Would it be nonsense to use the green brick after the ume before the Suehiro?
Where would you spend my money? the shaptons? fanatics combo?, the ume / rika combo?
I dont mind piecing stones together but need to know what to piece together!
Will be getting strops for sure but really dont feel the need for a coarse stone 300-500#, atleast I dont think I do.

Found this post informative but at the same time some contradicting info, also a few guys not agreeing with needing an 8k snow white:
Very informative but at the same time disappointing that the discussion didnt continue

stone-recommendation-t3336.html

Thoughts
Rob

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Mark what is your take?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

I know it's frustrating to not have clear definitive answers to seemingly simple questions like: "what is the best stone set" but the reason is there are a bunch of small factors in play from your use habits, to the edge you like to the steel that is being sharpened and finally the stones and how they react to your sharpening routine. Mush it all together and add about 100 choices and you are going to get conflicting information which consequently is what drives this forum....

I have more to say and recommendations but I need to get out of here and go to lunch. To be continued....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:24 pm 

Your way over thinking this. We're just talking about sharpening knives not building the Mars Rover.
There are no "bad stones" at CKTG. You just need to pick out a couple that appeal to you and get started sharpening.
A 1k and something between 4-6k is all you need to get started. After you become competent in getting a sharp edge you can then worry about things like "do I need an 8k".
Depending on how bad your practice knives are you may need to pickup something from 320-500 to set a bevel.
After you gain some experience you are going to want to try different stones but will be more informed about what you want.

Murry Carter sharpened a knife on a concrete block and a brick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Jeff. I usually don't recommend more than 3 stones to anyone that is a new sharpener and often I'll recommend just 2, a medium and fine.

There are several stones in each category that I like. The set you referenced with the latte, ume and rika has 3 excellent stones and that would work well for you. I also like the Shapton Glass stones and the bester/beston/rika set that I'm sure you've seen on the site.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]