It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Marbling
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:42 am 

So tired of filet, haha i know the feeling. I ate it almost every for a couple months at one point. Now it's skirt steak sandwiches...

About the cost thing, this was at a michelin stared restaurant I work at over the holidays. And they did not cut any corners on the food. The best quality/freshness was the most important what ever the cost, and we had our own farm for all the produce. Only downside is when you spend like they on food, it is hard to pay cooks a lot( whole other subject). We had some awesome stuff though. I will never forget It. All of our vinegars where super expensive, imported from France. We got whole wheels of Parm from italy, Caviar from Russia, and I'm pretty sure this beef was from Japan, some chef know how to get their hands on the good stuff. We served Foie gras, and it is "banned" in CA. It was a great experience. To be honest though I did not love the "final product" that much. Just too fussy and complex.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:09 pm 

There's a lot to be said for that. Source the best ingredients you can find and don't @$%^ it up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:38 am 

I really could go on and on. :lol: I think it is really important to increase the general public's awareness of where our food comes from, how it is grown, how it improves and advances(methods/genetics), and our ecological impact from livestock, agriculture, aquaculture, and wild caught/harvested food sources. Purchasing our food from responsible producers may not come at the cheapest price point. As a consumer and purveyor closely tied to these industries I believe we also have the responsibility to support those that go the extra mile to ensure we get quality and safety without an obnoxiously large footprint. We have an increasing world population and without proper preparation, humans could eat many species into extinction. Now don't get me wrong, I know things die and become extinct. We can't save them all. It happens. But it is important to preserve our food sources so we and future generations can all eat(affordably). Also just to be clear I do not support GMOs or anything else they try to pass off as food (saving that for another day)! :lol:

NorCal- I agree with you about cost. Cost is a major factor in the purchasing decisions; it's just not the first thing we look at when deciding who we source from. We do get lots of local farm fresh produce and local meats. I can only imagine how fun that would be to work at a restaurant that spares no expense to source ingredients from all over the globe. For what we [restaurant] do, we have a middle ground. We find medium. An example, we don't grind grain for our breads and pastas, or make our own butter, and we have fresh fruit in the winter :) also foie gras is delicious! I snag a few bites whenever we have it on the menu. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 pm 

I totally agree, It is a cultural change that has to happen. People need to learn to eat with the seasons, and demand quality meat. This type of cultural shift start in the professional kitchen. We in some way have a responsibility to show people how much better it is to eat fresh local food, and animals raised with quality in mind, versus quantity. I do see a change in the way american's eat happening, but it is not an overnight thing. I mean farmers markets out here in CA get more crowded every year, and the CSA movement is growing a lot.

Cheers the future

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2