It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Maintaining a Takamura HSPS Pro with Edge Pro
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 pm 

I just got this knife; no I don't need it but what I can say.

Anyway, it is very, very sharp--the best gyuto I have ever used, hands down. It is incredibly thin so I don't need to thin it, at least not right away. A friend has one and he says 15 degrees on each side is ideal. The manufacturer's info says that the factory bevel is 50-50, though the lady at the shop says it is steeper than 15 degrees. Most western-style knives sold at Korin are 70/30, or at least advertised as such.

I bought Edge Pro from this site about a year ago and love it. I have the Atoma 140, the Chosera 1000 and 5000, plus the two basic Edge Pro stones (220 and 420, IIRC). My progression is, first, thin with the 140 if necessary. Then 220, 420, 1000, 5000. Seems to work OK.

However, the shop where I got the Takamura (MTC Kitchen) highly recommends Shaptons. Which, no surprise, they sell. However, after reading much here about the greatness of Shaptons for the Edge Pro, I had made up my mind to get some anyway. The shop lady said all I would need was 500 and 1000. Sounded to me like not enough. She said the 220, which I had planned on getting would be overkill. She recommended at most 320, then 500, then 1000. I don't think I want to stop there. I was going to get also a 4000 and an 8000, but maybe I will skip the 8000?

Finally, she was a strong proponent of stropping this knife. That is something I have never done and have no experience with. I have the black Mac ceramic honing rod and use it incessantly. She didn't recommend that. I know that there are stropping tools for the Edge Pro but if stropping is something that is best done regularly, I am not sure if that is ideal. Perhaps I would be better off with one of those larger magnetic backed plates so I can strop before every use? I don't leave the Edge Pro out 24/7.

Any advice would be appreciated. This knife, I can already tell, is way better than my Misono or Kikiuchi and I want to maintain it in top form. I do a lot of thin Frog cuts--julienne, paysanne, brunoise and the like.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Maintaining a Takamura HSPS Pro with Edge Pro
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Manton - I've never used Chosera stones, but I believe people have said that they cut pretty fast. I would try to maintain that edge on the Chosera 5K and see how it goes. I think stropping on the EP is a PITA - too much setup time. I'd recommend a full size strop, such as horse butt leather for quickie maintenance, then hit the 5K Chosera once in a while for a brief touch up as needed. I you're in a home environment, you should be able to go quite some time before a full-on sharpening is required on that Takamura.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:26 pm 

Thanks.

Yes, having no experience with stropping, my intuition was that doing so with Edge Pro would be a pain. So, my plan would be to get the HandAmerican Strop base and then one strop, either horse or kangaroo. Make sense?

My Chosera 5K is for Edge Pro but I also have a double-sided 1K/6K freehand stone. I am not that great with it, though not terrible. Perhaps just for touch-ups on the 6K side, I would be fine.

Do you agree with the shop lady that using my honing rod is a mistake? The grit is apparently 1200 and the Rockwell is 81. The Rockwell of the Takamura is advertised as 63-64 (easily the hardest knife I've ever owned).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:35 pm 

using your mac rod with light pressure will not present any issues so long as u don't smack it against the rod. the hsps line from mtc is just the same as the migaki line of takamuras sold here but a bit thicker with more of the r2 steel used in the cladding construction.
the steel will take and hold a killer edge. I have found no need to take r2 to super high refinement as the make up of the steel allows for a very smooth edge refinement even at a lower grit. I usually stop at 2-4 k on my takamura and shiro kamo knives.
you will love that knife for a long time im sure, if I lived in the states I would have had one a long time ago, its a pity that mtc kitchen doesn't sell to Canada! I would buy the migaki gyuto from here but only comes in 210.... and the next line from them "HANNA" are super expensive like 500++ for a 240 ... oh well one day I just make a road trip to NY I guess
uy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:45 pm 

Wait, you mean they make a knife THINNER than the one I got? I can't imagine, this one is super thin already.

They do have the "Damascus" gyuto at MTC, but only 210. It was $360. I wasn't interested, not just because I wanted a 240, but because I can't imagine the pattern remaining pretty with use over the years, so why pay for it.

I think for now I will get the strop base and the Kangaroo strop. Maybe later I will get some Shaptons and, if so, sounds like there's no need to get the 8k, I can stop at 4K.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 pm 

manton wrote:Wait, you mean they make a knife THINNER than the one I got? I can't imagine, this one is super thin already.

They do have the "Damascus" gyuto at MTC, but only 210. It was $360. I wasn't interested, not just because I wanted a 240, but because I can't imagine the pattern remaining pretty with use over the years, so why pay for it.

I think for now I will get the strop base and the Kangaroo strop. Maybe later I will get some Shaptons and, if so, sounds like there's no need to get the 8k, I can stop at 4K.

I think you are making the right decision here in picking up a strop as your next acquisition. It takes me about 2 minutes to set up and another 2 minutes to use at home and the edge is back to straight off the stones sharp or pretty darn close to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:25 pm 

OK, I got the hone base and the horesbutt strop. Been using it this past weekend, I think correctly.

I did not, however, get any sprays so I've been stropping the knife directly on the leather. Is that recommended or do I need sprays? The site seems to be out of stock of most of them, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:14 pm 

manton, you don't "need" compounds on the strop but they certainly will elevate your edges, there is still some polycrystalline diamond spray 1micron and some of the cbn sprays as well left in kens corner on the site, ive used both kinds and like them a lot I wouldn't recommend going much lower than the 1 micron unless you want to shave with your blade .lol... but it is worth trying out some compound as it will still leave you with a nice amount of tooth to your edges... I really love the cbn in this regard.. but if you are content for now than even just stropping on the horse butt will help to refine your edge and keep it sharp between stone sessions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 am 

Just one man's opinion manton, but if you decide to add a spray to your repertoire, order an inexpensive balsa strop at the same time. Put the spray on the balsa and then finish on the bare butt. You can use the balsa to play around with different sprays etc. if you like (I haven't) and keep the butt clean for a final finisher. You didn't comment on if you noticed any difference in the edge after a few swipes on the butt or horse bottom as my daughter likes to say.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:33 am 

Well, the knife is brand new and I really only used it once, last night, to mince one onion and cut some lardon and slice some mushrooms. So not a heavy workout. It seems to have held its edge nicely. But like I said, I am a complete novice with strops so I really don't know what to expect.

This knife is, to me, clearly superior to my others (which are already quite good) so I want to maintain it in as close to top form as I can.

The balsa sounds like a good idea. I see on the site that the polycrystalline diamond spray 1micron is in stock, as is the .75 cbn. Given what's been said, I suppose I will go with the 1 micron pc.

Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next