It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MAC Pro
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 pm 

I have noticed that MAC Pros get a good deal of recommendations on other kitchen knife forums, but they seem to get little mention here. What is the current view on this line of knives. Is the MAC Pro chef's knife a valid option in its price range, or is this a line of knives that have been eclipsed, in terms of performance, by other companies?

Post subject: Re: MAC Pro
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:55 pm 

I think it is safe to say that for it's price point the Mac Pro has very little personality. There is nothing special about this knife from the yo handle to the average, at best, steel. In this price point there are knives with more appeal, more preferred handles and better steel than Mac Pro. They have just fallen behind the times. This is not to say that they are not a quality knife, there is to much new stuff out there with more "soul" for them to compete with now. Mac has become just an average mass produced J-knife.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Mac Pro line is still a good knife.

It just rather depends on what you're after and what you like.

For the price of a 9.5" (240) chef's knife.....$185.00 currently on CKTG.....yes, there are knives I'd personally rather have.

But, if you're after a full stainless, good F&F, kind of softer steel chef's knife.....then it's still a good option. Another knife in that same realm, at least for me, is the Masamoto VG. It's slightly less expensive and a little better knife IMHO. But, to each their own....yeah?!?! :)

The Misono 440 is another in that same general realm.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

A good thread on some Western Gyutos: post23384.html#p23384

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 pm 

I have and use a Mac Pro pretty often and I fully agree with the above. For the transition for German steel it's a good choice. But all in all it's very average. The only stand out is perhaps the full belly. It's a nice knife, but if I had the cash I would consider other knives now.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:57 pm 

Macs are gateway knives. They open your mind to other things. Their knives are functional and work well. I've given many pettys out as gifts. Once you start researching more yuo can find a lot for the same money but I don't think anyone would be underwhelmed by one.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm 

I'll agree with the above posts about it being a good transition knife. It was my first j type knife coming from German steel and I definitely had a wow moment. Since that purchase I have acquired several more j knives in varying steel types all wa handle. My more recent purchases sharpen easier and I almost always reach for those but the Mac holds a special place in my heart. I'm sure some day she'll be put out to pasture but not without shedding a few tears for nostalgia purposes :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:43 pm 

Mac is good, but for the price point you can and will do much much better.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:05 pm 

If I was looking for it to be a western handle and stainless I probably go with Kohetsu HAP40 240mm or the Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm. Even if Hap40 is semi stainless, I'm gonna say close enough.

If you would want to go wa and carbon then it opens up even more choices in the mac pro price range. Or even western carbon you get some more choices as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 pm 

Just remember Mac has been available in the states for a long time. A lot of the newer stuff available over here wasn't ten years ago, let alone two years ago.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next