One of Marks customers in Canada had his Ultimatum sent to me sans handle. The plan was to use some Red Buffalo Horn, SS Spacer, Black Buffalo Horn, SS Spacer, Bog Oak, SS butt cap for the handle and do a D shaped handle, which I have never attempted before.
First up, I wanted to epoxy the SS/Horn/SS together so I could drill thru it all at once:
Next step was to cut the Bog Oak block, and the Buffalo Horn:
Aluminum tubing cut:
Next I drilled a 1/2" hole thru the spacer sandwich, around 1.75" into the Bog Oak, and partway thru the Buffalo Horn and then slot the Buffalo Horn. Nothing really exciting there!
All of the pieces lined up on the aluminum tube, made sure it would fit nice on the tang. I ground a tiny bit off of the tang to slip into the tubing.
SQUISH!! All of the parts are epoxied onto the aluminum tubing and clamped:
While that was curing, I did a rough cut out of the Aluminum end cap. The SS would have added a pretty good bit of weight and I found some 1/8" aluminum, so I went with that. It will be drilled for a 1/4" Mosaic pin and the pin will be inserted into the end of the Bog Oak a little to strengthen the joint there.