It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Low grit stone
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:14 pm 

Im looking to replace a Norton 220. Has enough life for maybe 3 knives which im about to do now. What would be a good option to fill the position? Ive heard good things about the Latte 400,and Bester 500. Also have looked at Shapton Pro 320x, or Shapton GS 320.
Any feedback on these stones or a different recommendation?

Jared

Post subject: Re: Low grit stone
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:37 pm 

That latte 400 does some amazing work. It doesn't feel gritty and when sharpening you don't feel a heavy grind happening but when you look at the stone you are amazed about how much steel grinding and mud has accumulated. I am a real fan of the Latte 400 and that is the only one I have used among the ones you listed. I really like the DMT Course Grind stones if you haven't thought of those as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 pm 

I have an XXC (or XC, not quite sure) diamond plate I use to flatten and do real heavy work. Nice size chip removal and resetting a bevel on abused blades. But on that note, im not particularly fond of how they feel. id much prefer an actual stone and some mud to work with.
Thanks for the feedback on the Latte, I probably would have already ordered it if it wasnt OOS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:29 am 

In this range I have two diamond plates, Nubatama 150, Shapton Glass 320, and then 1,000 stones. I think the SG 320 does a really good job and there is no problem going to my 1,000 or 2,000 stones from it. I don't have a Latte and folks really seem to like them, but I can certainly say that the SG 320 is a very good stone in this range.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:52 am 

Shapton Pro 320. Good stone, cuts fast, dishes slow and has a good feel. I haven't used the Latte either but it is earning a reputation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 am 
Forum Moderator

Love my Latte 400! Cuts pretty quickly, but feels much smoother than the Bester 500. Bester 500 feels more like a coarse stone and leaves a scratchy finish, kinda like diamond stones leave. Latte leaves a much smoother matte finish. Latte 400, King 800 leave a nice dark Kasumi on clad blades. The Bester 500 is quick to cut, even on hard steels and I go Bester 500 to Bester 1200 w/o a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:55 pm 

Decided on the GS320. Should work well considering im going to a 1000 and 4000 GS afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:41 am 

waiting for the latte to come back in stock =D

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]