It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looking for Tojiro DP with the wa handle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:27 am 

Ah, just found this forum topic on the Goko so I've got some reading to do.
goko-damascus-t5325.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 am 

There are also two review threads in the Reviews section. One of them is mine, but keep in mind that I have only used it for a few days at this point. I will be updating with more complete thoughts later but, the short version is it is a good knife. Really good at that price. Different than the Tojiro would be, but if you want a laser at a low price point that Goko seems like the knife to get. The edge on mine really needed work out of the box but I generally expect that; you might have better luck and that would just be a bonus.

goko-damascus-240mm-gyuto-review-t5415.html
goko-hammered-damascus-240mm-gyuto-t4818.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 am 

estayton - thanks! I'll def read those 2 reviews.

I currently own a 8inch Wustof ikon that I got as a gift. Now I'm looking for something that's completely different from that German knife. Something that is super light, Japanese, thin, maneuverable, and affordable...so a J laser-like knife sounds perfect.

This forum is crazy awesome. I couldn't find anyone in my social circle that had past experience with these types of knives so this forum is super helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 am 

I like my Artifex GT, however it's not the thinnest of knives. It does cut well though, also a little soft in comparison to the other knives at 58 hrc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:00 am 

Goko is a relatively new maker on the scene. The damascus 240 is a super thin, light knife. It is almost just like a Kikuichi Warikomi damascus. It is about 168 dollars cheaper though. It suffers in the fit and finish department as well as inconsistent OOTB edge, but $ for $ is a great knife. To be aware, it is really almost frailly thin. Cutting technique will be important with this knife to avoid damage to the blade. 19c27 is wear resistant, tough steel and can be sharpened fairly acutely. The resin ferrule is total garbage. Some people aren't crazy about the chestnut wood handle either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:04 am 

jayjayc wrote:estayton - thanks! I'll def read those 2 reviews.

I currently own a 8inch Wustof ikon that I got as a gift. Now I'm looking for something that's completely different from that German knife. Something that is super light, Japanese, thin, maneuverable, and affordable...so a J laser-like knife sounds perfect.

This forum is crazy awesome. I couldn't find anyone in my social circle that had past experience with these types of knives so this forum is super helpful.

If that is what your looking for, you would be hard pressed to find a better value than the Goko Damascus 240. I'm sure they will be sold out soon, and I believe Mark said it's a one time shot (or at least at that price point) the knife is a value at the full price let alone Marks sale price. It's definitely very light and laser like. I also came from a Wusthof German chefs knife, and the Goko is completely different (In a good way) Also both of the Gokos I purchased have very good fit and finish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:48 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, the Goko 240mm Hammered were seconds, so they weren't finish as nicely on the blade, spine/choil/edge. The Goko Damascus (non hammered) were first IIRC, much better F&F all around, better OOTB edges. They went with the less expensive handles to keep the price down for the customers instead of adding $30-$50 more for the nicer handles.

Mark doesn't have a lot of the 240mm Damascus left; they will probably be gone this weekend, so if you want one, get one quick!! The 240mm Damascus are very thin lasers, but still cut well!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 pm 

Thanks everyone for your input.

The suggestions were so good that it's made my decision even more difficult. It's so hard to just pick one. I read and re-read a lot of the reviews on the Goko Damascus. The Goko seems like a great buy for the price, but people seem to have issues w/ its handle. That's the 1 thing that is making me hesitate for now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:52 pm 

You know your tolerance for such things, but handles don't matter much to me. Trust your gut on aesthetics. There are somethings that bug me, others I have to work hard to tune out otherwise it is easy to get drug into other people's perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 pm 

The Goko Damascus 240 (not the hammered Damascus 240) that I received was just wicked sharp out of the box. WIll do the "no hands tomato slice" seen on this video at 00:45 easily -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTHD2J2za6Y

And it is a true laser. Extremely light, nimble, just drops through onions like nobody's business. The choil and spine are rounded. The blade itself is so good that any minor quibbles with the low rent handle are just that - quibbles. At $100 this is a complete no-brainer decision. It's the same blade as seen in the Kikuichi Warikomi -- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy24.html but in 19C27 steel rather than AEB-L. It's just a honking great deal for anyone looking for a great light thin sharp easy to maintain 240 mm laser.

Buy it.

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next