It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a thin upgrade to my Shun.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

Hello Mark,

This is Tommy T, i am currently working as a cook at a Vietnamese restaurant in Sydney. I have used a couple Japanese knives in the past and i really enjoy the quality of them. Most of the knives i used are VG 10 ( such as Shun and Kaiden) but i am really interested in using a carbon knives. Most of the work i do is vegetables and acidic food ( onion, cabbage, pickles, lemongrass...) i have been told that carbon knives reacts to those food..., im not so sure if AS does the same. i was wondering if you could give me some advice and i really am interested in owning a new knife. I also enjoy a thin blade knife, i have used a chinese clever from my co-worker but i believe it's out of stock at Chefknivestogo. Do you have any knives that are as thin (1.9mm i believe) that you would recommend?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a thin upgrade to my Shun.
Site Admin

Hi Tommy,

AS is very hard and reactive so it will discolar and rust if you don't keep it dry.

I would recommend you try something like the Konosuke HD wa-gyuto. It's one of my favorite knives and is semi stainless so you don't get very much reactivity but you still can get them really sharp.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html

Mark
CKTG

Chefknivestogo Blog

Site Admin

Hello Mark,

Thank your for your reply. I've never tried semi stainless before, how do you compare it with VG10?

Tommy.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

It's great steel. Just wipe it dry after you use it and that's all you need to do for upkeep.

It sharpens up really well.

Kind Regards
Mark Richmond
http://www.chefknivestogo.com
608-232-1137

Chefknivestogo Blog

Site Admin

Thank you for your email and your recommendation Mark. I have had a look at the knife and it looks great, it has some good review too but one said it's not quite a workhorse, what does that mean?. Do you have any other recommendations so i can choose from. Regarding AS knives, what sort of job do they handle? And all the reactivity, does it happen on the knife only or the food as well? in term of maintenance, i should only keep it dry and apply some oil after used, can i use cooking oil to do that?

I understand that i am asking you a lot of question and i appreciate your help alot.

thank you

Chefknivestogo Blog

Site Admin

What people mean by a workhorse knife is that it will handle a lot of work and can be used for long periods of time on a wide variety of foods without losing it's edge. The knife is good so I don't agree with the customer that wrote that.

If you want to try a knife with AS steel you can look here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/aosust.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

This is Tommy again. I had a look and feel of the Konosuke HD that you have recommended and to be honest it didnt wow me as much. i also came across G3 - ginsanko / silver knives (i believe they are stainless and dont react to food) and i think i am interested in it. Do you have any suggestion for me? i like the Wa gyuto 240mm - 270mm. i also like knives with a flatter belly. i've been told that the thin blade would not be as strong as the thicker ones, which would make sense. i'm looking forward to equip a set of wa gyuto, a petty and a knife to handle fish (skin an fillet work), a stone flattening and maybe a sink bridge. i understand that i have had a lot of question and hopefully you can help me out.

Thank you very much and regards

Tommy

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tommy,

G-3 steel is good stuff. These knives are a little thicker than the HD ones and they have more hand work involved with really nice grinds.

Takayuki makes an excellent G-3 gyuto too: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ginsanwa.html

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
www.chefKnivesToGo.com
(608) 232-1137

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

I have had a look at the Takayuki G3 and it looks great. I have no doubt about your recommendation, there is one thing im not quite sure about is the thickness of the spine. My Kaiden's spine thickness is 2.5mm and it does wedge root vege like carrots, and Takayuki is 3.2mm. I was wondering if the spine thickness wedges food or other reasons?

Thank you Mark.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

This is actually a complicated question. Thickness of the spine is a factor with wedging but the grind of the knife is more important than the relative thickness. Also, super thin knives can have their own problems with lack of convex grinds which makes stuff stick. There's lots of balancing acts that go on with knives. Heat treatment is another area where you can go too much in one direction or the other or you have problems. Same with knife thickness and the grinds they use.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next