It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a stone to fit in with my progression.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,
I am getting into straight razor honing and have decided that I want to base my honing collection around the Naniwa snow white 8k.
My upcoming order will be:
Chosera 800
Naniwa green brick 2k
Naniwa 8k snow white
DMT 325
DMT fine slurry pad
Strop kit
Nanocloth pad
.1 micron spray

I think that I will need a stone to bridge the gap between the 2k and 8k.
In researching the Snow White, I went to Naniwa's website. They have a 4k stone made in the same series as the 8k, it's a IE-0300.
My goal in the process of creating an edge is to create as smooth of a bevel as possible. So I want to use stones that polish their way up to a sharp edge rather than grind their way up to a sharp edge. That's why I'm thinking the 2k green brick will be the transition from grinding to polishing. I do understand that polishing is nothing more than microscopic grinding.
It just seems like guys are making the polish transition at the 8k level.
Is the Naniwa IE-0300 a stone that I could order through you?
I can get it on EBay but I'd rather order through you.
The straight razor forums are recommending a Norton 4/8 for guys new to honing.
I would like to start with a snow white 4/8 combo then update them about my findings.
I think it will cost slightly more but have a much superior edge.
So what I'm trying to say that if this combination is successful I will work on creating a buzz on the forums and refer members to you.
If there is another stone that you think will fit the bill please let me know. I'm not dead set on the IE-0300

Please let me know.
Thanks
Matt

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a stone to fit in with my progression.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get one for you. I'll be putting in a stone order for Naniwa shortly and I'll add the stone for you. I'll email you when they arrive.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a page I set up for those that want to be emailed when we get it: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/allnast.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:03 am 

New here, forgive me for bumping an old post. Woodworker here, also looking for a stone to fill out my progression - moved from a 1K/5K/8K Superstone setup to a 1000 grit Sigma and the Naniwa Snow White. Works well on well-cared for blades, but I miss having a mid-range stone for working the flat backs of tools needing a little more care to get working. I can dig out the Superstones, but I'm looking for something with a feel I care for more.

A friend pointed me to CKTG both as a nice source of stones, and to check out the Naniwa IE-0300. I've entered my email address to be notified if you get more in stock, but in the mean time, I'm curious if anyone has more info on this stone - is it another magnesia binder stone? Most I'd love to know what the "feel" of it is; nothing exact, just roughly - is it a harder stone, like the Snow White? Is it a softer muddier stone like the Superstones? Somewhere in between?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:02 am 

Any update from the OP (not Mark lol) about how this stone works on razors? I'm still using the ever popular norton 4k/8k but I really don't like the feel of the 4k side.

Chris

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]