It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a knife for my Dad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:07 pm 

Here are the ones I'm considering...Kohetsu Blue #2, Kaneshige Stainless, Richmond Artifex GT, and Fujiwara FKM. Which would you choose? Keep in mind I'm looking for something with a good sized blade width at the heel. Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated. My top dollar is $120, so not too much in available in that range

Post subject: Re: Looking for a knife for my Dad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

WVK - I assume you're talking about 240mm versions of each, since the Artifex GT is 240mm. If so, my recommendations would be the Fujiwara FKM 240 and the Kohetsu B#2 240. I haven't tried the B#2 240 yet, but I loved the 210, it's an awesome performer. If the 240 version is a similar performer, it will be the best pure performer of these 4 knives you list, especially at the tip. The Kohetsu is the only clad blade in your list, but it has the nicest, easiest to sharpen steel of these 4, hands down. I personally found the Kaneshige stainless steel pretty wear resistant and more work to sharpen than the Fujiwara/Artifex GT (same AUS-8 steel in both). The Blue #2 in the Kohetsu is super nice to sharpen and it just wants to get sharp quickly on the stones.

As long as your dad is OK w/the carbon steel at the edge on the Kohetsu, I'd probably pick that one for myself, given the choice. I've used all these knives, except only the 210 version on the Kohetsu. The Kohetsu handle is the most utilitarian, but you'll quickly forget about that once you use the knife - it's that good :-).

If you want a Wa handled knife, I'd pick the Artifex GT 240 over the Kaneshige SS 240.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:38 pm 

He's used to a western handle. The knife he primarily uses is a 10" old school Kai knife. So I'm thinking he'd like something with a nice weight to it. And yes im talking about 240's. I recently got a 210 kohetsu hap40, so I'm a bit biased towards kohetsu. That's one of the reasons I'm asking for opinions. My hap40 has become my go to knife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick w/my two recommendations. If you want better steel and a stainless clad carbon knife is OK, and you don't mind the less glamorous handle, Kohetsu B#2 240 is your knife. If you want a more traditional Western handle w/full tang then Fujiwara FKM. The Tojiro DP 240 Gyuto is also a solid choice and it has a bit more heft and slightly more substantial handle than the FKM.

I like the FKM over the DP in the 240 version, and I like the DP over the FKM in the 210 version. The FKM 210 is almost too light for my taste - we use the DP 210 at home.

I don't know if you sharpen, but the Blue #2 in the Kohetsu is just so darn nice to sharpen and so easy to strop for maintenance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 pm 

This knife has a good weight with it's western bolstered handle and uses a good stainless steel. I think it fits very well with what your looking for.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masazumi4.html

If you could stretch your budget I bet he would love this old heavy duty classic, Hiromoto AS stainless clad. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:33 pm 

The Tojiro DP line might be a good choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff B - those Masazumi's are carbon mono steel, not stainless. I know - I bought a 210 for my nephew. I wouldn't recommend them. The have very asymmetric grinds to the blade overall, the OOTB edge was absolutely bad - probably 50 degrees inclusive on the edge, and maybe 90/10 RH edge bevel bias. I had to do a lot of work - shoulder grinding, then putting a more appropriate angle on the bevels. It was a decent knife after all the work, but I wouldn't do it again. Too many other choices that are high performance OOTB.

If anyone thinks the Artifex Gyuto's are a tad thick at the edge w/big bevel shoulders, you haven't seen the Masazumi in person :shock:.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:39 pm 

wvk14 wrote:He's used to a western handle.

Old dogs can learn new tricks. I'm a prime example. I now look at my western handled knives and shake my head ruefully at the years I put up with their ergonomics. Of course I was also too bull headed to learn a proper pinch grip.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:00 pm 

SteveG --> So....smarty pants video man, we can't all be right all the time. ;) :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, Mark needs to label that steel better in the description on the product page. It's easy to infer that it's stainless.

That knife pissed me off :-). I looked at the edge bevel that looked more like a chisel than a knife edge OOTB and thought "really, they put THIS edge on their knife OOTB?" ;-).

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next