As the title states, I'm soon looking for a deba to break down snapper, halibut, salmon, mackerel, and sea bass. All fish are between 2-20lbs. Mackerel being the smallest and salmon the largest.
1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
3. What size knife are you looking for?
210mm? 240 seems too large. I've never held a 240 deba so I can't really say.
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
Looking at blue and whites, open to Ginsanko
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
Wa-handle prefer octagon.
6. How much did you want to spend?
~$300-$400. Less is always good.
7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Ideal deba would be clad, with octagonal handle, 210mm. A great grind, straight blade with no twisting, good ura geometry are worth +$400 IMO. I think deba length is measured from the handle. correct? I fear 180mm will come up short. I have a 300mm yanagi so too much length is not an issue.
Here's what's on my mind:
Mizuno Hontanren deba 195mm/210mm
Fu Rin Ka Zan ai deba 195mm
Any deba suggestions? This may be a tough one as I'm picky