It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a deba
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:32 am 

As the title states, I'm soon looking for a deba to break down snapper, halibut, salmon, mackerel, and sea bass. All fish are between 2-20lbs. Mackerel being the smallest and salmon the largest.

1. Are you right handed?
Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
Deba
3. What size knife are you looking for?
210mm? 240 seems too large. I've never held a 240 deba so I can't really say.
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
Looking at blue and whites, open to Ginsanko
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
Wa-handle prefer octagon.
6. How much did you want to spend?
~$300-$400. Less is always good.
7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes.

Ideal deba would be clad, with octagonal handle, 210mm. A great grind, straight blade with no twisting, good ura geometry are worth +$400 IMO. I think deba length is measured from the handle. correct? I fear 180mm will come up short. I have a 300mm yanagi so too much length is not an issue.

Here's what's on my mind:

Mizuno Hontanren deba 195mm/210mm

Fu Rin Ka Zan ai deba 195mm

Any deba suggestions? This may be a tough one as I'm picky ;)

Post subject: Re: Looking for a deba
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mioroshi... <--link

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

A 240mm deba true deba?!?!?!?! :o

I can't even imagine what that might weigh. Ha!!

I've used many a 180mm deba, and they seemed big. So to even go up to 210mm would be a very big jump.

I think I'll jump on Mel's bandwagon and say that if you really want a deba that long, I'd look seriously at mioroshi deba in lieu of a traditional deba.

They're not as thick at the spine and not as wide overall.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:27 am 

I've used a 180mm for lots of fish over 40# i can't imagine trying to use a 210 on a 2# fish to be honest. Is this for home use or at Work?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:52 am 

Thanks for the info. After doing some browsing, I've noticed that most debas are measured along the cutting edge. 210mm debas look to be long enough but will be reaching the point where they will be too heavy. Mioroshi might be the way to go.

@Nbles - This will be used at work. Approx. 300+ lbs. of fish per week. My reasoning for the length is so I won't have to switch between deba and yanagi during prep. to save some time by using one knife.

I will definitely consider 180mm hon debas /Mioroshi deba/ai debas in my search. Thanks all for the help.
Any 180mm suggestions welcome as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:13 am 

on a 20# fish you'd almost certainly have to break the filet into loins to be able to skin it with a 180 even 210mm deba. I highly doubt itd save any time having to do it that way. I get your idea, but I think your best bet is to just get faster and use the proper knives for their intended purpose :)

I've never been one for spending much on a deba, it just doesn't make sense to me in a commercial setting. Just one person's opinion on things though. I keep a Minamoto Deba in my kit for those uses.

You could always get yourself a longer suji to use, I use suji for the entire process of breaking down salmon and similarly built fish. I don't, however, think I'd prefer using a suji to go through the bones on fish with larger pin bones.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]