It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lone Star yahoo!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 pm 

I managed to convince my wife that a cutting board would be a perfectly good Christmas present. She asked what I wanted, after all. So yesterday, on the way to braving the crowds at one of the nicer malls in DFW - one that has the latest offerings from Mercedes on display inside, and where the Neiman-Marcus valet parking keeps Maseratis and the occasional Bentley out front for show and parks the mere mortal BMW's in the covered parking lot (God forbid we do that with our Toyota, and we walk on down to Dillard's and the Apple Store) - we stopped to see the ever so humble John Loftis and his wife, Jennie, at Lone Star Artisans to pick out an end-grain cutting board. We got one with black walnut surrounded by maple, about 14 by 18 inches. My wife was so impressed she took some pictures at home to send her to her son in Ruston, Louisiana, who in addition to being a very creative architect, has also started a store selling "Made in the USA" products, preferably made of wood.

Pictures just do not do the board justice. It's just so beautiful sitting on my counter that all I can do is gaze at it lovingly, caress it, and wipe it down with a little mineral oil now and then. It just seems too pretty to use - but that's what I said about my Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Gyuto, too, before I used it. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Lone Star yahoo!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:40 am 

Way to go Jnani! John makes a nice board. I had a hard time using my board from The BoardSmith the first time, it looked so nice. I enjoy it as much as my knives.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Very nice!! I think I have the same board and love it! I had John add the juice groove and feet to mine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awesome!! Nice gift to you :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 am 

I used it tonight, and it was wonderful. :P To get ready, I had a good sharpening session last night to get the edges ready. I am continually amazed at the edge White #1 takes - not that Aogami or HD2 are exactly slouches. Even my wife, who is a bit bored by metallurgy, was impressed by my freehand diagonally cutting thin receipt paper with all three. But I digress...

The board is all the more beautiful for having used it. The gap caused by the feet makes it act like a sounding board, with that little "thunk" making my dogs think I'm cutting meat. They
always
think I'm cutting meat, and they
always
get to share a bit. ;)

Happy, happy, happy. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:39 pm 

Ordered the large walnut end grain from Lone Star just before Christmas - it arrived 12/27. Absolutely gorgeous and a first-class piece of craftsmanship! In use, the walnut has a bit more "grab", to both food and knife, than was the case with the hard maple edge grain board it replaced. Will send another report after I have had a chance to use it for a while and evaluate its effect, if any, on blades.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]