It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Line gyuto?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:25 am 

Hi, I work in a professional kitchen where I prep my own station (hot and cold) every day. I am looking for a knife that can stick with me on line as well as during prep times. I prep a lot of things ranging from dicing hard squash to chiffonading tarragon to slicing thin cuts of tuna. When I started as a dishwasher/prep cook, I bought a Shun 8 inch santoku and have been using it ever since. But, I'm looking for a more serious upgrade at a lower price point. I'd like to keep it under $100 because I'm still trying to learn how to take care of my knives better. I'm learning how to sharpen my knife right now but I'm not that good at it yet, so I'd like to have the room to learn how to treat a nicer knife nicely.

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..): gyuto?
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210mm (I'm a woman, with woman-like hands)
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? stainless
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? japanese handle
6. How much did you want to spend? ~ $100
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Not well.

I've read through several other forum posts about newbie intro knives. And, I've been considering the Fujiwara FKM 210mm gyuto and the Tojiro DP 210mm gyuto because they're priced really low. But I could be swayed more toward the Richmond Artifex or Laser. I'm just wondering if I pushed my price point a little higher, would it make a difference? What is a great bang for the buck knife that can hold an edge and gives me leeway to learn how to grind an edge better?

Post subject: Re: Line gyuto?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 am 

I am not a pro, I am just a home cook, but I own the Fujiwara FKH 240mm (the carbon version), the Tojiro DP 240mm, and the Richmond Artifex 240. Between the three, for me, the Artifex is the better preforming knife.

All three are pretty good knives in their own right but...

The Tojiro is mid weight and fairly thick behind the edge, with a Western handle. I think this makes the Tojiro a favorite as a gateway knife between Western and Japanese cutlery, but limits its cutting performance. It is also clad construction. This means the hard core steel is wrapped in a softer steel, I do find this deadens the feel a bit, but whether that bothers you is a preference thing.

The Fujiwara (as I said I have the carbon version) is a bit lighter and thinner, but not significantly so. I cannot comment on the edge or edge retention because I have a different steel in mine, but being a touch thinner I have found cutting performance is better than the Tojiro and as a mono-steel knife has better feel.

The Richmond's only real limitation is its utilitarian looks. The AEB-L steel is used in much more expensive knives, so in that since it is a bargain. It is lighter and thinner than either of the others, but not so thin as to be a big risk for chipping. If you do get more into sharpening the AEB-L can be thinned and take a much more acute edge than it comes with so its performance ceiling is much higher than how it comes from the factory.

I don't have any experience with the Richmond Laser but it is supposed to be crazy thin behind the edge. It uses the same steel as the Artifex, so you could think of it as a thinner, higher preforming Artifex. The trade-off is increased risk of chipping...but someone else would need to comment on how much more of a concern that would be.

Hope that helps some...

-Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:07 am 

I just noticed there is a Wa (Japanese) handled gyuto in the Tojiro DP lineup I had not seen before...

It looks a lot lighter than the Western handled one, I would guess that would translate to thinner behind the edge and better cutting performance.

That being said, I would still prefer the AEB-L, mono-steel construction of the Artifex over the VG-10, clad construction of the Tojiro.

I also noticed that the Japanese handled Artifex (available in 240mm) is made by Fujiwara using their FKM steel and the Western handled uses the AEB-L. The Fujiwara made Artifex (240mm) is also lighter than the AEB-L, Western handled one. So, depending on which one your looking at...you have some choices to make between 210mm/240mm, Western/Japanese handled, and AEB-L/Fujiwara FKM steel

-Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:11 am 

How did you decide to go for the 240mm?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:49 am 
Forum Moderator

The OP stated she was looking for a 210mm.

Western handles knives will be heavier than Wa handled knives usually because of the full tang (lots more metal) and the pakkawood they use for the handles is heavier than Ho wood, and then there is the metal bolster on most Western knives. Nothing to do with the blade itself; the extra weight is in the handle.

$100, 210mm, all stainless, slightly softer stainless than the others, but it will be less chippy:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kastwagy210.html

Another option:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/su21gy.html

Not in stock yet, but I got to play with the 270mm version:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagi21gy.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

I think this Kaneshige hits your criteria on the nose. It's a great choice in that price range.

Stainless
Wa-Gyuto
$99
Easy to sharpen

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kastwagy210.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm 

And though the Artifex has great steel it is very thick behind the edge OOTB and needs a good thinning to become a great performer. A good knife for the price but needs work OOTB.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 am 

Great advice everyone. Thanks a lot. Just purchased the kanashige 210 gyuto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Come back after you've used it and tell us how you like it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]