It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Learning to use a Yanagiba
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 pm 

Looks easy.

Isn't.

Post subject: Re: Learning to use a Yanagiba
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:04 am 

Yup.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:08 am 

Which reminds me,i had some kingfish and chutoro tuna last night. I was a little giddy after man ng the first cut because I had never felt my knife glide so easy before-i wasn't used to such a level of ease I felt like I reached inner peace in or something.

Its just not a knife for rapid cutting jobs thats for sure.still takes me about 3 times as long to dice an onion compared to any other knife I have

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 am 
Forum Moderator

SHERSKI <> The way this reads - it's as if you are explaining you dice onions with a Yanagi. :shock:

That would take three times as long as the knife is designed to slice... not chop. It's design's efficiency rather promotes rapid cutting in appropriate applications.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:01 am 

i love using my yanagi on a side of swordfish, or ahi tuna loin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:28 pm 

Melampus, don't get me wrong but what I was trying to achieve was to find out the ways that are not necessarily optimal for using the Yanagiba. And for learning which cuts are appropriate for a tool such as this knife. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want to reverse engineer the way I learn things so I know what not to do first within reasonable boundaries as opposed to just being told that so-and-so-blade is supposed to cut such-and-such only.

I don't believe the Yanagi is a fish/protein only knife and whether or not you agree with me, I believe that there is a degree to which this knife can be used in other applications that extend into the realm of veg prep, though perhaps not in a setting as rapid or as rigorous as a French styled kitchen as opposed to a more serene Japanese omakase or kaiseki style kitchen setting; and that only comes from figuring out how your knife should behave, as opposed to how people tell you your knife should behave.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 pm 

SherskiAUS wrote:Melampus, don't get me wrong but what I was trying to achieve was to find out the ways that are not necessarily optimal for using the Yanagiba. And for learning which cuts are appropriate for a tool such as this knife. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want to reverse engineer the way I learn things so I know what not to do first within reasonable boundaries as opposed to just being told that so-and-so-blade is supposed to cut such-and-such only.

I don't believe the Yanagi is a fish/protein only knife and whether or not you agree with me, I believe that there is a degree to which this knife can be used in other applications that extend into the realm of veg prep, though perhaps not in a setting as rapid or as rigorous as a French styled kitchen as opposed to a more serene Japanese omakase or kaiseki style kitchen setting; and that only comes from figuring out how your knife should behave, as opposed to how people tell you your knife should behave.

So, have you tried driving nails with a pipe wrench yet?

After all, you have to learn "which actions are appropriate for a tool such as a pipe wrench."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:25 pm 

"So, have you tried driving nails with a pipe wrench yet?"

:lol:

Nail ain't gonna drive itself!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:56 pm 

I drive nails with my old Nokia phone!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:52 pm 

Nmiller21k wrote:I drive nails with my old Nokia phone!

No way, thought I was the only one who did that.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next